FYI: Using XBMC/Kodi with WD MyNet N900C (for streaming mkv videos)

Hello all,

Just wanted to share my experience with the community.

Was fiddling around with a WD MyNet N900C (2TB) to connect to my home network (a friend got a bunch on sale…). Configured it in AP (Access Point) mode as I already have a working home network.

When I loaded some videos on it and tested it, I found out that there were no problems playing back videos from Windows PCs (via SMB share \WDMyNetN900C\Public). However, when using XBMC running on various platforms: OpenELEC HTPC (IONTop), Android Tablet (Asus Transformer Pad TF300T, and MINIX Neo X8H-Plus (Android media player), they all encountered problems playing large mkv files. BTW all these XBMC devices played the same videos just fine from a Windows shared drive.

I tried other video formats and found that the XBMC player could play MP4 files over the WD MyNet N900C SMB share. After hours of research and fiddling, I found a workaround.

Obviously, the problem has something to do with the interaction of the XBMC SMB client with the SMB server built into the WD MyNet N900C (a custom Samba build called KC_SMB). Since I have no expertise to fix this problem, I used another protocol to share the files: FTP.

The WD MyNet N900C supports sharing files over FTP (in addition to SMB, DLNA, and iTunes). I just activated the FTP sharing, and created a connection in XBMC to the WD MyNet N900C using FTP instead of SMB and VOILA! MKV Streaming is working properly now.

Hope this workaround helps others having similar problems.

Best Regards,

Cheers!

Hello,

Thank you for posting this information.