FW 2.08.13 but don't get spotify?

Hi, new user and upgraded to the latest firmware out of the box.

I dont see Spotify?  I thought it was avaibale in UK?

I am on Virgin media in UK and have the timezone etc set to UK.

I have 13 services including Youtube leanback which i think is new to, whats the story?

Yeah, according to:   http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=570

Spotify should be available in the UK.

Where did you buy your Hub?   Is it a model that’s specifically made to work in the UK?

i bought it new on ebay UK but its from Hong Kong and advertised as Europe compatible, comes with power cable correct. it was £35 cheaper than rrp. i can live without spotify but i can’t do without iplayer which is rumoured to be coming soon. can i do anything!?

Look at the bottom label…  and tell us the exact MODEL # of your device, including the four-letter suffix.

p/n: wdbaca0010bbk-00

DCM: CBAIAA

4811C

There is also a S/N & MAC but i assume you dont need them.

Quite worried now :frowning:

Hmmm.  I thought the label had the region code on it, but I guess not.

wdbaca0010bbk 

is the part number used for EMEA (Europe / Middle East / Africa), UK, and APAC (Asia-Pacific)

My suspicion is that you actually have the APAC model, which does NOT include many of the services.  But only the four-digit region code would distinguish those.   I guess it’s only on the packaging.

The box has WDBACA0010BBK-SESN

So assuming it is APAC, it cant be firmwared to UK?  How do they differ? MAC address etc?  Any point in going to WD for advice… I cant see the ebay seller being too interested in a return.

That is the APAC version, and Nope… They all use the same flash. The difference is hardware. Yours doesn’t have the CPU that does the DRM decryption required.

Thanks Tony again.

Is there any documentation around this that can explain further? Need to build a case so i can return to seller that item is not fit for purchase in region.  Anything from WD themselves?

Oh and is iplayer actually coming to the UK before i goto this effort? :smileyvery-happy:

fattakin wrote:

Thanks Tony again.

Is there any documentation around this that can explain further? Need to build a case so i can return to seller that item is not fit for purchase in region.  Anything from WD themselves?

Oh and is iplayer actually coming to the UK before i goto this effort? :smileyvery-happy:

No, I would suggest you open a Support Case with WD Support.   Tell them your EXACT MODEL#, as you described it above, and tell them you cannot see Spotify in the services.

They will tell you that it’s not available on your device.

You can then see on the WD Webpages that Spotify *IS* allowed in the UK.

Therefore, the sellers claim that it’s “Compatible” is questionable.

I have no idea if iPlayer is planned…