Future support for NFS protocol?

The latest firmware update seems -not- to improve streaming high bitrate files.

Using network shares (SAMBA) a lot of overhead is involved.

Can we expect NFS protocol support in the future?

Because it uses less overhead vs SAMBA streaming will be * MUCH * better. :smiley:

Thx!

(Of course you need a NFS capable server for this but my NAS supports the use of NFS.)

There’s a lot of baggage involved in that…  For one thing, NFS doesn’t have any “Discovery” mechanism, which means that the user would have to provide mountpoints manually through the UI.   So that’d be more work to create a UI to allow mountpoint entries and also saving them somewhere… 

SMB doesn’t require any of that.

That’s true, but I don’t have a problem by typing the mount point.

There is more to gain than to lose with NFS.

Streaming will use less CPU cycles and so higher birates are possible.

It can nicely coexist with SMB and the user can select whatever he/she chooses. :smiley:

Personally I prefer good streaming above all this web content stuff.

Make the box stream perfect first and after that add all the gadget stuff.

The majority of the customers buys this box for streaming local content.

Just my 2ct.

As far as I’m concerned, NFS support is a must, SMB just isn’t fast enough when trying to stream a 720p MKV, given that the WD TV Live is Linux based, this must be very very easy to add

I understand your point about having to manually add mount points, but it isn’t that hard to do

va55ie wrote:

As far as I’m concerned, NFS support is a must, SMB just isn’t fast enough when trying to stream a 720p MKV, given that the WD TV Live is Linux based, this must be very very easy to add

I understand your point about having to manually add mount points, but it isn’t that hard to do

Agreed - it would be very nice to be able to nount my NFS shares on the WD TV Live.

If you desperately need it now why not switch to the modded firmware that supports NFS already?

Techflaws wrote:

If you desperately need it now why not switch to the modded firmware that supports NFS already?

• *> I have now, and NFS works great, if only it was officially supported