Further refinements in upgrade request ... RAID10, + xfs built w/attrs+acls

I asked for the RAID10 in a previous note.

An easy way to do it that *might* work – (it would work, but never benchmarked the setup), is

to use the volume mirror – and get 2 mirrored volumes of 2TB each (in 8T unit).

Then either (and not sure which is best) create 1 physical volume with both mirrored volumes in

it (pvcreate), then a striped logical volume on top of the physical volume,

OR (probably best, but haven’t tried either)

2 physical volumes, each 1 one of the mirrored devices in it->

/dev/md0 → pv0

/dev/md1 → pv1

then 1 volume group with the 2 pv’s (lvcreate

lvol0 = (pv0 + pv1)

then make logical volume with 2 strips and a strip size equal to (what is optimal for your

HW?  How much buffering will the HD’s do on a write?  Maybe use strip size of 32-64K?

Anyway, that should give reasonable performance of up to 2X using 1 disk, but full data

backup and shouldn’t be CPU bound.

I note that the ext3 file system is built without acls and attrs.

How is the xfs file system built?  I could hope it was built with acls and attrs left in?

This would allow samba to support fulll NT acls to its shares.

Am I talking to air?

:slight_smile:

The WD Community was created for Users, such as yourself, to help one another, and to share your experiences and ideas with one another. As Moderators, we are here simply to facilitate and oversee the community. If you have a question relating the what’s going on in the community, we will be happy to respond. However, if you are looking for technical support from WD, you will need to contact them directly.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Your post sounds more like an Idea or a Feature Request. The best place for this is in our Ideas Lab. This way someone from WD will be sure to see it. However, I would search first and make sure that there isn’t another idea similar to yours that you could add your post to and vote on.

Ideas Lab
http://community.wdc.com/t5/community/categorypage/category-id/idea