Ftp://?

That is the port SSH uses.

Imagine exposing your SSH port to the Internet and then someone comes across your MyBook Live, realises the “root” user’s password is still set to the default of “welc0me” and then that person, somewhere on the planet, has 100% access to YOUR MyBook Live.  I don’t think you would like to happen.

So, it is uber important not to expose the MyBook Live’s port 22 to the Internet unless a very secure password is assigned to the “root” user.

To be honest, even I don’t have SSH exposed to the Internet on my own MyBook Live.

Thanks Mryon as I had started to go down the SSH track, yet ended up “uninstalling” it, might you i haven’t yet gone back into my MBL and “disabled” SSH. So must do this tonight when i get home

Dear all,

I’m newbie here who try to setup the FTP for my MBL.

I had registered Dynamic DNS Service with www.no-ip.com, i realised that i can download and install the Dynamic DNS Update Client so that the host name i created is always associated with my router external IP.

I’m just wondering, can I access to MBL through SSH, and install the Dynamic DNS Update Client inside the MBL and let the client run inside MBL and update the IP address?

I have the Dynamic DNS Update Client for Linux, anyone can teach me how to install the client in Linux environment (MBL had the Linux with it if i’m not mistaken?)? I’m not really familiar with Linux…

Thank you.

Erm…  My advise is not to disable SSH but you can change the password from “welc0me” to whatever else that is more secue using the passwd command on the Linux command line, but don’t disable SSH.

Try not forget the password.  If you do then the reset button resets the root password back to “welc0me” so you won’t get locked-out because of a forgotten root password.

snoozee wrote:

Thanks Mryon as I had started to go down the SSH track, yet ended up “uninstalling” it, might you i haven’t yet gone back into my MBL and “disabled” SSH. So must do this tonight when i get home

You you can access the MyBook Live from the Internet by SFTP and secure Telnet.  Enable forwarding of port 22 from the Internet to your MyBook Live but PLEASE remember to change the root user password from “welc0me” to something that you can easily remember is impossible to guess by dictionary attacks or guesses.

If you don’t change the root user password then your MyBook Live WILL be owned by some hacker/crook/etc…

I don’t know how to install a DynDNS client on the MyBook Live.  Well, I do but I don’t want to disturb any configuration files or software libraries.  By this I mean installing a DynDNS client could break everything else, especially the Web UI.

Anyone reading this is more knowledgeable to install ay Dynamic DNS update client in a way that won’t disturb or break anything within the MyBook Live?

Anson wrote:

Dear all,

I’m newbie here who try to setup the FTP for my MBL.

I had registered Dynamic DNS Service with www.no-ip.com, i realised that i can download and install the Dynamic DNS Update Client so that the host name i created is always associated with my router external IP.

I’m just wondering, can I access to MBL through SSH, and install the Dynamic DNS Update Client inside the MBL and let the client run inside MBL and update the IP address?

I have the Dynamic DNS Update Client for Linux, anyone can teach me how to install the client in Linux environment (MBL had the Linux with it if i’m not mistaken?)? I’m not really familiar with Linux…

Thank you.

Hi to all,

Two days ago I am fighting (and reading) with it to make FTP server accessible from Internet … but I do not obtain it.

Only I want to gain access to some private folder. That’s why I make a change in vsftpd.conf (thank you very much Myron!!! :)) to hide and deny access to the public folders (deny_file=Public and hide_file=Public).

The situation is the following one:

• I have a fixed IP
  • In the DSL Router (D-link 2740B) I have opened a port and it is forwarding to my MBL
    (external port 4321 to internal port 21 to MBL_Internal_IP).
  • My FTP client (CuteFTP), configured in PASV mode, can log in in MBL but it does not obtain the directory file and the connection is closed.
    This is the line log in CuteFTP:

STATUS>      Getting listing “XXXXX”…
STATUS>      Connecting to ftp server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:4321 (ip = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)…
STATUS>      Socket connected. Waiting for welcome message…
        220 “Welcome”
STATUS>      Connected. Authenticating…
COMMAND>    USER XXXXX
        331 Please specify the password.
COMMAND>    PASS *****
        230 Login successful.
STATUS>      Login successful.
COMMAND>    PWD
        257 “/”
STATUS>      Home directory: /
COMMAND>    FEAT
        211-Features:
         EPRT
         EPSV
         MDTM
         PASV
         REST STREAM
         SIZE
         TVFS
         UTF8
        211 End
STATUS>      This site supports features.
STATUS>      This site supports SIZE.
STATUS>      This site can resume broken downloads.
COMMAND>    TYPE A
        200 Switching to ASCII mode.
COMMAND>    REST 0
        350 Restart position accepted (0).
COMMAND>    CWD /Folder
        250 Directory successfully changed.
COMMAND>    PWD
        257 “/Folder”
COMMAND>    PASV
        227 Entering Passive Mode (xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,19,193).
COMMAND>    LIST
STATUS>      Connecting ftp data socket xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5057…
ERROR>       Control connection closed.

And this is my vsftpd.conf file:

ftpd_banner=“Welcome”
listen=yes
listen_port=21
accept_timeout=60
connect_timeout=60
data_connection_timeout=300
max_clients=0
max_per_ip=0
xferlog_enable=YES
hide_ids=YES
dirlist_enable=YES
download_enable=YES
use_localtime=YES
write_enable=YES
file_open_mode=0755
local_enable=YES
local_umask=02
local_max_rate=0
anon_root=/shares
check_shell=NO
chroot_local_user=YES
userlist_enable=YES
userlist_deny=NO
userlist_file=/etc/user_list
vsftpd_log_file=/var/log/vsftpd.log
anonymous_enable=NO
anon_mkdir_write_enable=NO
anon_upload_enable=NO
anon_world_readable_only=YES
anon_other_write_enable=NO
no_anon_password=YES
anon_max_rate=0
anon_umask=077
#share_acl_enable=YES
pasv_enable=YES
pasv_promiscuous=YES
pasv_min_port=5000
pasv_max_port=5099
deny_file=Public
hide_file=Public

The question is: is it necessary to make some another change in in this file or in the router?

The FTP server is working without problems at my internal network. Also I have set in my Personal Computer another FTP server (WS_FTP Server with different open port in the router) and also working  from Internet.

Some idea on this problem. I appreciate any suggestion. Thank you in advance and excuses for my bad English.

Greetings

Don’t think it’s the MBL that’s at fault.  VSFTPD is used by a number of big companies for public facing FTP servers.

I would suspect you router.  Have yuou updated the firmware of your router?  If you can try another make and model of router.  It could even be a issue with the company that is providing Internet access services.

Another thing to try is on your computer, lower the MTU to 1400.

Without touching the TCP configuration, try pinging your router from the Internet and use ping’s -f option to prevent packet fragmentation.  Can you ping the router with the No DF set?  If you can’t then lower the MTU and try again.

Myron, thank you very much for your suggestions (and for all your posts :))

I have tried several of them and the problem continues:

• I have changed my router… the same problem :frowning:
  • Also I have changed MTU value to 1400 … and it not solves the problem… :frowning:

The ping command answers perfectly with 1472 bytes packets and none is lost (ping My_Public_IP -f -l 1472)

I not know the difference with WS_FTP Server, but it works perfectly from Internet and MBL not.

Anyhow, again thank you.

Greetings

I’m stumped.  That you describe makes no sense that it workd with WSFTP Server and does not work with the MBL’s VSFTPD.

VSFTPD is designed to be secure from the ground up and I’m wondering if your Internet Access servce provider is somehow to blame.