Ftp timeout

I tried to download a large file remortely from my book live via ftp. But after a few minutes of dowloading, a window popped up, saying ‘timeout’ and the connection was cut. Is there a way to extend the time for connection so timeout will not happen again?

thank you.

If this is indeed a timeout problem, then you need to SSH in to your mybooklive and change the timeout (default appears to be 60 seconds) setting in  fsftpd configuration file.

See here for the option setting.

http://linux.web.cern.ch/linux/scientific4/docs/rhel-rg-en-4/s1-ftp-vsftpd-conf.html

Should the time-out only be invoked if the connection is idle for the specified length of time and not during an active transfer of data?

The time-out problem happened when I was transferring files which amount to  about 10 GB. 

Modifying the timeout values for the FTP daemon is easy if you enable SSH access to the box,  although I am not sure if this solves your problem.

These are the two parameters in /etc/vsftpd.conf file that you can play with.

connect_timeout — Specifies the maximum amount of time a client using active mode has to respond to a data connection, in seconds.

The default value is 60.

This is one minute timer for client to respond and connect to the server.

data_connection_timeout — Specifies maximum amount of time data transfers are allowed to stall, in seconds. Once triggered, the connection to the remote client is closed.

The default value is 300. 

This is five minute timer once the file transfer gets going. if the transfer gets stack for 5 minutes then the serverr will force the timeout. 

60 =60 seconds and 300=300seconds=5 minutes.

Assuming you already know how to get into the box using SSH with “root” previledge,

#nano /etc/vsftpd.conf

will open up the file in built-in editor.   

After modifying the timeer value(s), you can ctrl-w (write-over the file) and then ctrl-x (exit the editor)

Then restart the ftp daemon by…

#/etc/init.d/vsftpd restart

so that th new values are recognized by the server.

1 Like

I have enabled SSH. But may i know how to get into the box using SSH with “root” previledge and obtain that file?

Thank you.

Right…  First of all MAKE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL!!!   Just in case you screw it up!

cp /etc/vsftpd.conf /etc/vsftp.conf-orig

Edit the configuration file with the nano text editor. (Pretty easy to use.)

nano /etc/vsftpd.conf

Finally when you’ve saved the configuration file then restart the FTP service.

/etc/init.d/vsftpd restart

If you find you have mashed up the configuration file then I hope you took heed of the absolute first bit of advise I gave you within my reply.

Happy hunting.  :smiley:

1 Like

sorry. i wish to know how to log in SSH (with root and welc0me) and where to type those command. thank you=)

If you are using Windows, you will need to download an executable called “putty”  ( http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html)

Run the program, enter your Mybooklive’s local IP address and port 22 and select connection type as  SSH then hit “open”.

If you are using linux (Ubuntu etc.,) then you can  enter the following in the terminal mode

#ssh root@mybooklive_IP_address

then enter password.

If you are running mac,  ask somebody else:smileyvery-happy:

thx=)