FTP Share Access Rights: UI settings may not align completely with the actual settings

After update to 5.24.108 I encountered a FTP share access problem.

Some dedicated ftp user had no longer access to the share content. The FTP user could login, but did not see the folders or content, also could not create folders.

However the UI showed the user with Read / Write access for this FTP-enabled share.

Using ssh access I could identify the file /etc/NAS_CFG/ftp.xml which did not match the settings from the UI. While in the UI we can see Read / Write the very same user was member of the deny_access_list of this xml config file.

In a first attempt I modified the ftp.xml followed by some

ftp restart

and the FTP access problem was resolved.

Further testing showed that changing the share permissions for an FTP-enabled share in the UI immediately changes the ftp.xml, but only for the user you just modified.

This means that if you encounter an unexpected FTP access problem, you could simply try to toggle the share access settings in the UI to Deny Access for the affected user and then set it back to Read Only or Read / Write.

I opened a Support Incident trying to identify the root cause for the misalignment between UI and actual setting in ftp.xml.

1 Like

Hi @tga,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

@Keerti_01 As you can see in the last paragraph of my post: Yes, I opened a Support incident ticket. As part of the conversation for this ticket I have been asked to share my experience with the problem in the WD community.

1 Like

Ignore, they’re just a bot but they are sometimes quite helpful.

Great post!

1 Like

Really? I don’t think that Bot has ever posted anything useful.