FTP Setup Ideas and Recommendations

Hi,

I have a sharespace and I am slowly getting used to this expansion of my network. I am not a tech or a geek, but enjoy the benefits and I am trying to learn as I go.

I wanted the unit to store files and have my friends and family from all over have access to the unit.

So I have set them up with Usernames and passwords and divided them into various groups, depending on the level of access required or offered.

However I now believe that they can only do so IF they are directly connected to my router? Is that correct> or do they HAVE to have their own Mionet account? OR is FTP a better option? IF so which one is good, simple, easy and free if possible. and how the heck do I install it and establish the same “controlled” access I was looking for?

I am sure I am not the only person looking at this issue, so I would like to thank you all for reading the above and helping with some constructive ideas please.

Thanks.

Edward

Hi,

Mionet is a remote access server, when you transfer data that may go trhough the mionet server than to the end user, so is not actually as fast as ftp, the FTP is a direct point to point access.

• You need to enable the FTP service that the WDSharespace has, you have to go to the network storage manager interface, then go to advanced mode and network then services, enable it and if you want to change the port you can assign another one, by default is 21.

• Then you need to access the interface of your router and open the port for this application “FTP” and insert the IP of your sharespace. you may need the help of your router’s manufacturer or ISP.

• You need to have a public IP provided by your ISP. for furthur infos contact your ISP, and you may have a domain name too.

You need a FTP client software, as _ mozilla ftp client ,_ and i guess you can downlaod it for free…

Good Luck.

Accessing FTP without using the MioNet service.

-Make sure that you have the FTP service is enabled through the web base utilities.

-If your router is set up as your DHCP then you must give the WD drive a static IP address.

-open port 21(default) though the router settings and type in the static ip address that you gave the WD drive. This should direct any requests to open port 21 straight to the login screen. 

You may need to tweak a few settings, but this will get you started down the right path. 

good luck.

Let me just piggyback on TVenet’s response:

A few things to consider for DSL users. 1) Get a static IP address from your ISP. It will cost a little bit more but will allow you to access your network from afar. 2) set the modem into “bridging” mode and use your router to handle the routing and firewall duties. 3) Set your router for PPoE (most ISPs use this), no gateway needed, and I recommend setting the public FTP port to 2121 and the LAN port to 21. Some ISPs block traffic on port 21 on the WAN side so this will get around it. Do the same for the http: port (8080/80) and you can get to the WD admin page for your Sharespace.

Most people will not like using FTP with the limited and cryptic DOS-like commands. You can enter /help to get a list of the commands and google a cheat sheet. For some reason my FTP program won’t automatically list the folders/files like it does for other servers. I’ll have to play with the settings some more.

If you’re on cable most of the above applies too.

Good luck and have fun learning, 

You don’t really need a static IP. You can use a dynamic DNS service, like http://dyndns.com. They offer a free service. Basically, you run a little program on your PC that periodically connects to their server. The server sees your external IP address and updates the DNS entries. Then, you can connect using a standard domain name (like mydomain.nu) even with an IP address that changes.

Many routers even support this, so you won’t have to leave a PC turned on.

Is there any way to setup the sharespace to logon to the dyndns.com?  I know that the unit is running as a linux box with root access.  Can something be added?

. 2) set the modem into “bridging” mode and use your router to handle the routing and firewall duties.

How do you do this?  Thanks!

I have my ShareSpace server on a LAN  with several computers.  The network ip  is 192.168.1.2.   I would have thought that any computer on the network could ftp to the server without going outside the LAN, that is ftp 192.168.1.2  21, [ftp is enabled in the ShareSpace, with default port 21.]    But when I try this, the server asks me to login with USER and PASS.  I ought to be able to use  “root” and “welcOme”, but they are rejected.  Any ideas?

James125 wrote:

I have my ShareSpace server on a LAN  with several computers.  The network ip  is 192.168.1.2.   I would have thought that any computer on the network could ftp to the server without going outside the LAN, that is ftp 192.168.1.2  21, [ftp is enabled in the ShareSpace, with default port 21.]    But when I try this, the server asks me to login with USER and PASS.  I ought to be able to use  “root” and “welcOme”, but they are rejected.  Any ideas?

The root account is only used for SSH. FTP uses the Samba users (the same users you use to get to the files through Explorer or Finder) and gives each user access to the same shares they have through Samba. So, instead of using root/welc0me, you should use one of the accounts you’ve created on the ShareSpace, such as the admin account.