FTP server

the device that i have have no option to change the port number for FTP server … is there a solution?

Do you know if you have the 1st or 2nd generation My Cloud? You can find links to both User Manuals here,
https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=904&lang=en , plus more help and information.

What specific My Cloud model and firmware version number do you have? On the single bay/single drive first gen v4.x firmware My Cloud there is no option to change the port number used by the My Cloud FTP server (vsftp).

However, it might be possible to use SSH (enabled through the My Cloud Dashboard) to modify the CONF file for the embedded FTP server to change the standard port 21 to something else. Obviously one would have to change the FTP client port number to match on their computer or mobile device. There is discussion of changing the vsftpd.conf for first gen My Cloud’s at this link:

Another option, if accessing the My Cloud from a remote location using FTP is to change the port forwarding within the network router so that it uses a a different inbound internet port than port 21 but route that port to the local network port 21 and the IP address of the My Cloud. See your router documentation for more information on how to setup port forwarding.

1st generation, it if can be changed through SSH why not showing this option in the setting making it easy for the user !!!
hope to see this option available in the new firmware

Because the single bay My Cloud units are entry level devices they do not have the options/features that more expensive multi bay My Cloud units have. There are a number of values/options that can be modified through SSH that are not available on the My Cloud Dashboard on the single bay units.

In reality the average Joe home/small business user who needs a simple basic NAS device like the single bay My Cloud probably doesn’t need to change the FTP port. In general the only reason they’d need to change the FTP is if their ISP blocks inbound access to port 21.

In the end though it should be noted that the FTP protocol is not secure. One’s user name and password are typically transmitted in the clear and can be subject to interception.

regardless of the facts that you highlighted … since there is an option to facilitate ftp server then it required to be convenient even-though this device is an entry level, if a person purchased 2 of these devices he/she wont be able to use one of the devices as ftp at the same time.

if ftp is not secure then WC have to consider better encryption services (sftp/ftps) other brands are providing such option.
i use PR2100 and DL2100 both are using normal ftp service. i wonder way WD is not providing good potions in their devices in term of software and hardware… they are forcing us to use their devices just for one time only, because other brands are way ahead of WC in term of NAS applications.

Unlikely; probably part of WD’s ‘vertical product differentiation’.

You’d have to ask WD. We are not WD…

You’d have to contact WD directly and ask them. This is generally a user to user support forum. Fact remains FTP protocol is what it is. If one needs more configure-ability in their NAS device they may have to look elsewhere at more expensive units than the single bay and multi bay My Cloud units which may have a number of limitations not found in (sometimes more expensive) competitor models.

One can request fixes or additional features in the Cloud Ideas subforum. Just don’t hold your breath and expect WD to actually implement (any) suggestions made there.

Bottom line is that one can apparently use SSH to mofidy the port number if they need to change the port number. And in the case of two or more NAS FTP servers on the same local network, for remote access to those NAS FTP servers, one can configure port forwarding within their network router/gateway to deal with routing ports to each NAS FTP server bypassing the need to modify the FTP port on the NAS device.

https://community.wd.com/c/personal-cloud-storage/cloud-ideas