FTP problem!

My problem is I’m able to access my book live via FTP inside my Lan network, unfortunately it doesn’t work when I’m using public IP or Hostname. Based on some advices, I have open up ports 21,20,5000,5099 but still no luck. Please help. Thanks

Should work. The router should recognise the FTP protocols and handle traffic accordingly. Also, you’ve posted your query into the wrong forum. This is for all things MyBook Live.

I’m using Mybook Live. where else should I post this ?.  The problem here is it doesn’t work outside the my lan network, I’m not sure if anything is missing.

You wrote " my World book".  I don’t think it is a problem with the MyBook Live because if it was then a lot of other people would be having the same problem.  Do you have SSH enabled on your MyBook Live?

I’m sorry, my bad. I have already enabled SSH. What should I do now ? Thanks

Nah.  I think it’s the router that it may be your Internet service provider that’s the problem. If not that then the router.

I just remembered where I worked last I had to specifically request that incoming FTP connections from the Internet were to be allowed because the ISP’s own firewall was disallowing FTP connections from the Internet to its customers.  Check this first.

The second is that it could be the router.  Are there any additional firewall settings within the router what could be preventing FTP data and control connections being made to from WAN to LAN?

Hdinh wrote:

My problem is I’m able to access my book live via FTP inside my Lan network, unfortunately it doesn’t work when I’m using public IP or Hostname. Based on some advices, I have open up ports 21,20,5000,5099 but still no luck. Please help. Thanks

You “Opened Up” the ports. 

That’s not the same thing as FORWARDING the ports.   Did you do that, too?

Yes I meant port forward, I even used DMZ but it’s still not working. thanks for your reply

Might be your Internet service provider/company blocking the FTP ports at their end.

1 Like

Myron wrote:

Might be your Internet service provider/company blocking the FTP ports at their end.

Indeed, it happened to me once. They fixed it, but my ISP never told me why they blocked it to begin with.

Sometimes ports are blocked by default because the ISP is “protecting it’s customers from botnets searching for devices that can be infected”. So you have to ask to have a port opened.

One ISP in the UK will open a FTP port but they have a port scanner that periodically searches for vunlerable FTP services. If one is found then the FTP port gets automatically blocked until the fulnarability is fixed and another call is made to the ISP’s support to explain what’s happened, what was done to fix the problem and ask nicely to have the FTP port unblocked.

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:

Myron wrote:

Indeed, it happened to me once. They fixed it, but my ISP never told me why they blocked it to begin with.

1 Like

Sorry all for the late response. My ISP doesn’t lock FTP port (21). I have created a FTP server on my machine and it’s working fine. I have a copy of my SSH file. It may help to find out the problem. Many Thanks for all who has replied.

ftpd_banner=“Welcome to MyBookLive”
listen=yes
listen_port=21
accept_timeout=60
connect_timeout=60
data_connection_timeout=300
max_clients=0
max_per_ip=3
xferlog_enable=YES
hide_ids=YES
dirlist_enable=YES
download_enable=YES
use_localtime=YES
write_enable=YES
file_open_mode=0755
local_enable=YES
local_umask=02
local_max_rate=0
anon_root=/shares
check_shell=NO
chroot_local_user=YES
userlist_enable=YES
userlist_deny=NO
userlist_file=/etc/user_list
vsftpd_log_file=/var/log/vsftpd.log
anonymous_enable=NO
anon_mkdir_write_enable=NO
anon_upload_enable=NO
anon_world_readable_only=YES
anon_other_write_enable=NO
no_anon_password=YES
anon_max_rate=0
anon_umask=077
#share_acl_enable=YES
pasv_enable=YES
pasv_promiscuous=YES
pasv_min_port=5000
pasv_max_port=5099

Edit: I have tried to plug my book live directly into the modem but still not working. is it defective by any chance ?

Here is my configuration