FTP default data location

I have setup FTP on a new MY Book Live and tested ftp via a command line.  I am connecting up fine and putting and getting files to the device, but I am unable to find the data via windows explorer.  Is there a share that I get map to, to get the data via windows explorer.

FTP is accessed either via an internet browser or a client, I have no idea what you mean by that. There is no such thing as an “FTP share” on the MBL.

Since you ftp to a location on the MBL, you should still be able to view the file and retreive it hence it should be viewable througn Windows Explorer.  In our case, we are ftping from a multifunction device on the LAN and then want to retrieve the document via Windows Explorer. The only way to view it through Windows explorer is to have a shared folder on the MBL.

cconnard wrote:

Since you ftp to a location on the MBL, you should still be able to view the file and retreive it hence it should be viewable througn Windows Explorer.  In our case, we are ftping from a multifunction device on the LAN and then want to retrieve the document via Windows Explorer. The only way to view it through Windows explorer is to have a shared folder on the MBL.

No, the FTP interface will show you the shares and lists of files, but it’s accessed through an Internet Browser by design. When you open a file using FTP, you are not “copying” that file to your computer but rather downloading the file, so if anything, it should go to the default download folder your browser uses. Then you go to the default download location for your browser and you see the files on Windows explorer.

Having a shared folder mapped is the clean way to access the files on Windows explorer, and that’s using SMB instead of FTP, again, FTP is only for internet browser use.

SMB: Regular network file access, works with Windows Exploter.

FTP: Internet browser file access, does not work with Windows Explorer since it was made as a non-Windows related protocol.

1 Like