FTP again

Hi - 

Let’s try this again. I want to have the FTP functionality on my mybook so I can easily transfer work files between my home and work.

For whatever reason, the UI will give me a user/connection error whenever I wish to start running the FTP server (or in fact, whenever I try to add a user).

Now I don’t want to update firmware. Frankly I’m afraid given the issues reported on this board, and as I’ve already upgraded Twonky to a higher version than factory and don’t want to risk that, or any of the other tweaks.

Can someone point me to a site that can explain how to setup the FTP server under the OS that mybook is running?

Regards,

Interesting problem. The thing is that the VSFTPD service is a seriosuly simple FTP daemon that operates on the MyBook Live. You have mentioned that you updated the Twonly DNLA server and the first thing that comes to mind, did the Twonky installlation update some other software library that VSFTPD needs and is now there is an incompatibility?

I assume you have enabled SSH access as you have installed Twonky.

Try enabling VSFTPD by bypassing the UI.

Edit the file /etc/nas/service_startup/vsftpd and change it’s contents to . . .

enabled

Invoke the following script with parameter . . .

/etc/init.d/vsftpd start

The above two actions will make VSFTPD start when the MBL boots-up and starts the VSFTPD service.  What te UI is supposed to do.

The faults you’re experiencing are specific. Something on your MBL has been subtly knocked off it’s placed and disturbed.

Does /etc/vsftpd.conf file look like this . . .

ftpd_banner="Welcome to MyBookLive"
listen=yes
listen_port=21
accept_timeout=60
connect_timeout=60
data_connection_timeout=300
max_clients=0
max_per_ip=0
xferlog_enable=YES
hide_ids=YES
dirlist_enable=YES
download_enable=YES
use_localtime=YES
write_enable=YES
file_open_mode=0755
local_enable=YES
local_umask=02
local_max_rate=0
anon_root=/shares
check_shell=NO
chroot_local_user=YES
userlist_enable=YES
userlist_deny=NO
userlist_file=/etc/user_list
vsftpd_log_file=/var/log/vsftpd.log
anonymous_enable=NO
anon_mkdir_write_enable=NO
anon_upload_enable=NO
anon_world_readable_only=YES
anon_other_write_enable=NO
no_anon_password=YES
anon_max_rate=0
anon_umask=077
#share_acl_enable=YES
pasv_enable=YES
pasv_promiscuous=YES
pasv_min_port=5000
pasv_max_port=5099

. . . just for reference I changed mine to what is shown below to make it less appealing to bots and hackers . . .

ftpd_banner="Welcome"
listen=yes
listen_port=21
accept_timeout=65
connect_timeout=65
data_connection_timeout=300
# max_clients=0
# max_per_ip=0
delay_failed_login=62
max_clients=6
max_per_ip=2
xferlog_enable=YES
hide_ids=YES
dirlist_enable=YES
download_enable=YES
use_localtime=YES
write_enable=YES
file_open_mode=0755
local_enable=YES
local_umask=02
local_max_rate=0
anon_root=/shares
check_shell=NO
chroot_local_user=YES
userlist_enable=YES
userlist_deny=NO
userlist_file=/etc/user_list
vsftpd_log_file=/var/log/vsftpd.log
anonymous_enable=NO
anon_mkdir_write_enable=NO
anon_upload_enable=NO
anon_world_readable_only=YES
anon_other_write_enable=NO
no_anon_password=YES
anon_max_rate=0
anon_umask=077
# share_acl_enable=YES
pasv_enable=YES
# pasv_promiscuous=YES
pasv_promiscuous=NO
pasv_min_port=5000
pasv_max_port=5099
deny_file=Public
hide_file=Public

A fix would be to upgrade the MBL’s firmware but don’t do it via. the UI.

Copy the firmware file to the MBL’s Public folder then invoke the following command . . .

/usr/local/sbin/updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /DataVolume/shares/Public/apnc-021012-129-20120308.deb

Just remember NOT to close the terminal session while the update is in process. You’ll know when it’s done the first bit because a broadcast message will appear telling you that Linux us shutting down. If you close the terminal session before the update then it may cause you big issues so make sure your computer is not connected to your network wirelessly.

Performing the firmware upgrade as shown above eliminates the UI from the equation.

Just remember that Twonky will be reverted back to what W.D. ships and you’re welcome to put back your version of Twonky, but just be aware that it’s possible other updates the Twonky 6 installer may do could yet again knock something off balance in the MyBook Live.

So, anyone else here have more concise knowledge about the pros and cons of updating Twonky on the MyBoo Live?

thanks for the detailed response… I will try what you suggest and let you know.