FTP access

I am trying to access my WD MyCloud via FTP from outside the home network (at work on my computer and on my iPhone via LTE). I have yet to be able to log in. I don’t use DynDNS so I’m using the IP address of the router at home. The account I’m trying to use is the same user/pass as is used on the wd2go site. Do I need to set up NAT for this to work? Do I need to set up a new account for FTP access? What’s the procedure?

Thank you

-Cory

You have to use your external IP, not internal. Also I’m not sure if you can use the FTP features outside of the network, never tried.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am using the external IP address, not the 192.168… address from outside the network.

___cory___ wrote:

Do I need to set up NAT for this to work?

Of course.

1 Like

That dawned on me just as I was posting. Opened up a port on the router and BOOM, I’m in. I can connect via FTPManager iOS app and CyberDuck, but not the Apple OSX built-in FTP. Like the song says, two out of three ain’t bad.

Consider this resolved.

Thank you.

-Cory

I want to do exactly the same thing for my 3 TB “My Cloud” drive, but unfortunately, I’m not experienced in networking. 

Is there any chance someone could either walk me through the process, or point me to an FAQ_for_newbies on the topic? (…yes, I looked) 

Specifically, exactly what are the steps, and what information do I have to enter at various points. 

FWIW, I can access my drive externally using WD’s desktop program for PCs, I have turned on the FTP server in the web-dashboard application that manages the drive, and I have used the external IP accress in my FTP client software, WinSCP, but am not sure what to put in for user name, and password.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

PS - I figured out the PW problem:  I hadn’t set a password for FTP access in WD’s Dashboard application.  I set one and am now able to FTP into the drive from within my home network.  I still haven’t been able to FTP in from the outside and am not sure what the previous comment about the NAT means.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Since every router is different, you’d be better served looking in your router’s manual and/or support forums.

But if you tell us your make and model for your router, maybe someone here has the same router.

Thank you for the quick response.  My router is a Dlink AC1750 Wireless Dual-band Gigabit Cloud Router Model DIR-868L.

Tom

Here’s a link to the manual. http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DIR-868L

There is a portion of the manual that talks about port forwarding. Here are the specifics of how I did it.

Turn on Port Forwarding.

Set port 8021 of your outside IP address to forward to the local IP address of my WD MyCloud (192.168.1.100 for example) using port 21.

This way, when you FTP from outside your home network, it will forward to your MyCloud.

Outside your network:

ftp://123.456.789.123:8021

What the router does is translate that address to 192.168.1.100:21.

The name and password of the share should be used (for example, User: tom_mann Pass: gold_bunny).

That should get you in. Unfortunately I cannot download the manual at this moment, so hopefully this info will get you up and running.

-Cory