I just bought and installed the wdtv live and I’m having a problem that makes the unit not usable at all.
The unit can access to shared folders of my servers but it does not find any media file and returns the message: "“There is no media in the current folder”.
- I have an XP Home Pro-SP3 server
- With folder shared with read permissions to “everyone” and full control to specific users. Specific users have a password set.
- Very simple user names and passwords with no special chars.
- guest login disabled (tried also to enable without any effect)
- No firewall/antivirus set (MS firewall disabled)
- All other PC (XP, vista & W7) can see the shares from the server and play files without any problem.
- Wired network connection (1Gb/s) trough a D-link DGS-2208 switch.
- The WD TV Live can connect to youtube, pandora and live365 without any problem.
- I have the latest 126.96.36.199 firmware
- My Windows XP workgroup is called “FAMILY”, not “WORKGROUP”
- There are multiple users set on the XP server, all of them with passwords
- I tried creating new shares from scratch, but I have the same problem “no media in current folder”
- I tried setting up a DLNA/UPNP media server and that works (but it is not my preferred method, i want to use network shares)
- I rebooted a few times the server, I rebooted the Ethernet switch, I rebooted the modem/router, rebooted the WDTV, to no avail.
Initially the WDTV did not even saw my server, then reading on the forum I enabled the network DDE/DDSEM services and now it can see the server but I get the “no media in current folder”.
My media files are in subfolders, not at the top level of the folder, but i cannot see any subfolder either.
Any suggestions on what to check next before I return the unit , will be appreciated!