Frustrating Problems with WD products: EX2, HD (Red and Black), WD myCloud app, etc +

I have had long problems with WD products. I have not posted here in this forum as I have been on email and phone conversations with several WD Cust Support people. But enough is enough. I give up on WD products and I want unknowing people to know how unreliable WD products are.

The other purpose is to the management of Western Digital: Your products are unreliable. And your resolution of problems is appalling. You have my email. You know how to contact me.

I will continue to post this in external forums. This post of mine will probably be deleted by the moderators.

I am an end-user and almost 2 years ago, I bought:

1. 2 units of EX2 NAS. The main purpose is to backup remotely from my office to home and vice-versa. This is a problem that is almost 2 years and neither the Asia-PAC team, nor the USA team can solve it.
  2. 2 units of WD BLACK HD for my file server.
  3. 4 units of WD RED HD, to be used in both my EX2 NAS.
  4. WD Passport
  5. WD My Cloud app.

This is the latest email to the Customer Support person. It is the culmination of my frustration with the long standing problems.

"
Dear [Deleted]

You are telling me this: That they have no clue, that is why they have to remove all settings and start from scratch. Is that correct?

Can you please tell your management to just refund my purchase. I give up on WD.

These are my existing problems with Western Digital:

1. HD unreliability: The 2 times my file server crashed was because of 2 WD BLACK drives I installed in it. It was replaced with refurbished ones. I had to dismantle it and bring it to the out-sourced IT parter of WD. One hard disk crashed one after another. This is a problem I never highlighted to you.

2. In those 2 times, I tried to recover what backup data I did in the EX2 with little success. I backed up data to it initially using the software provided (WD Smartware). It never backed up fully with success. The backup worked however when I used a third party software.

3. In those 2 crashes, like I said I tried to recover using the EX2. It copied very slowly (more 3 tries lasting over 4-5hrs each) over the LAN to my backup harddisk and some files were missing, meaning it DID NOT SUCCESSFULLY RESTORE MY BACKUP. And accessing it was very slow.
    Fortunately, I had another backup in my backup PC. So The EX2 is redundant literally.

4. This is the only problem you are aware of: The current VERY LONG outstanding problem (almost 2 years) of 2 units of redundant EX2 that cannot do remote backup, when it was advertised it can! We have had at least 2 remote sessions, more emails and phone calls that I can remember. BTW, in those 2 units of EX2, I bought a total of 4 units of WD Red HDs to be installed in them.

5. The WD cloud app does not access the EX2 consistently, whether remotely OR in the LAN itself. It is a hit and miss. I sometimes get through, and sometimes do not. The network is working fine, other devices can access the other resources well. Sometimes, it cannot detect my EX2 when I am in the same network, standing in front of it and using that network’s Wifi!

I also have a WD Passport, and because I have not used it more than 3 times, there has not been a problem. But I am afraid to use it to store my data and picture honestly.

Please forward this to your management.

I will also post this in the relevant IT forums to let others be aware of the unreliability of Western Digital products. I should have gotten Synology instead!

And please do not constantly include this paragraph! " We hope that we were able to address your inquiry to your satisfaction and we appreciate the time you taken to contact us. Should you need assistance and/or have any further inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

• Singapore: 1800-608 6008"

I do not want to go through the maze of telephone options anymore! And it never addressed my problems!

Warm regards,

p.s. This is directed mostly at your company, not you.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, 11 October 2016 9:34 AM
Subject: RE: Western Digital Technical Support. Case#: [Deleted] [ ref:_00DU0Jpn7._500U0PdIhD:ref ]

Dear G,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Technical Support.

My apologies for wasting your time, but I have tried my best to follow up our back end team regarding with this issue and they would like to do a remote session to fully check the settings, they might need to remove all the setting from the start and try to set it up from scratch to check on this concern that you have.

Please let me know what time will be available for you today?

We hope that we were able to address your inquiry to your satisfaction and we appreciate the time you taken to contact us. Should you need assistance and/or have any further inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

• Singapore: 1800-608 6008

Thank you & Best Regards,
[Deleted]
WD/HGST Technical Support
Western Digital Corporation

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 10/7/2016 6:00 PM
To: wdsupport@wdc.com
Subject: RE: Western Digital Technical Support. Case#: [Deleted] [ ref:_00DU0Jpn7._500U0PdIhD:ref ]

We have done this remote session a few times. Let’s not waste time. What r they doing to do?

On 7 Oct 2016 5:35 p.m., “WD Support” wdsupport@wdc.com wrote:

Dear ,

Good day!

Regarding with your case, our back end team would like to further
check your setup and will it be possible to schedule a remote session
on Monday, please let me know what time will be convenient for you.

We hope that we were able to address your inquiry to your satisfaction
and we appreciate the time you taken to contact us. Should you need
assistance and/or have any further inquiries, please do not hesitate
to
contact us.

[Deleted]

Sent: 10/3/2016 11:35 AM
To
Subject: RE: Western Digital Technical Support. Case#: [Deleted]
[ ref:_00DU0Jpn7._500U0PdIhD:ref ]

Dearl,

Thank you for confirming that one, I have already talked to our back
end team and US team but they still have no feedback regarding with
this issue, they have inform me to wait for any updates within a week.
Please wait for my updates within a week and my apologies for the
inconvenience, I know we have done a lot of test to inform our back
end team but will follow up them and lets wait for there updates until
Monday next week since we also have a different time zone from them.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

We hope that we were able to address your inquiry to your satisfaction
and we appreciate the time you taken to contact us. Should you need
assistance and/or have any further inquiries, please do not hesitate
to
contact us.

[Deleted]

Sent: 10/1/2016 9:35 AM
Cc:
Subject: RE: Western Digital Technical Support. Case#: [Deleted]
[ ref:_00DU0Jpn7._500U0PdIhD:ref ]

How do I do a tracert when the IP address is dynamic???

On 28 Sep 2016 2:53 p.m., “WD Support” wdsupport@wdc.com wrote:

Dear G,

Let me further check from our US team and have you already done the
tracert from home going to your office?

We hope that we were able to address your inquiry to your
satisfaction
and
we appreciate the time you taken to contact us. Should you need
assistance
and/or have any further inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

[Deleted]

Sent: 9/27/2016 3:55 PM
Cc:
Subject: RE: Western Digital Technical Support. Case#:
[deleted] [ ref:_00DU0Jpn7._500U0PdIhD:ref ]

What is the latest update from your US experts?

This is a problem that has been unsolved for over a year. I am quite
disappointed. The 2 EX2 that I bought have not served it’s purpose
of remote backup. Why do you release this product that is not even
working properly yet?
"

Hello,

Sorry to hear all the issues that you are experiencing.

Please note that this is not a support venue, this is a user to user Community provided by WD for the users to help each other.

Please keep an eye on your private messages.

The WD cloud app does not access the EX2 consistently, whether remotely OR in the LAN itself. It is a hit and miss. I sometimes get through, and sometimes do not. The network is working fine, other devices can access the other resources well. Sometimes, it cannot detect my EX2 when I am in the same network, standing in front of it and using that network’s Wifi!

Same problem here! I get always timeouts or log out in a minute even if the server is forwarding the ports. In addition I cannot create at all mycloud accounts. Everytime I get Error “unexpected error”.
System test are all ok!