FRUSTRATED - video freeze, ssh connection reset

Hi,

I bought the my book live 2TB version.

setup: router → switch → (nas, pc). pc ethernet card was 100Mbps. pc runs windows 7. nas has latest firmware, and already factory reset it once.

these are the problems i’ve encountered this far:

1. ssh connection reset after 10-30 minutes.

2. can’t copy files larget then ~10GB since the connection get reset before completing the file transfer.

3. video freezes when playing a movie (from windows, not using twonky) after ~20 minutes.

Switched pc’s ethernet card to 1Gbps:

1. run an ssh connection (but with no activity) for ~4 hours and it didn’t reset. 

2. file copying is a lot faster so I didn’t encounter any problem here…

3. video still freezes (tried playing other movies) after ~20 minutes. even tried playing it on my laptop (again windows 7) instead of the pc, it freezed on the laptop too. it then also reset my ssh connection.

Weird stuff and things i’ve already tried:

* change power outlet, no good.

* when I tested the drive at my work, with a setup: switch → (nas, linux pc) it seems the movie didn’t freezed after ~1hour, though it did stutter at one point, but that may be the linux pc’s problem…

IM SO FRUSTRATED, I’VE BEEN TRYING TO SOLVE THESE ISSUES SINCE I BOUGHT THIS LOUSY PRODUCT 3 WEEKS AGO, AND I CAN’T WATCH ANY(!!!) MOVIE/TV EPISODE ON MY PC!!!

Can it be a problem with the way windows 7 mounts the drive? (windows share, ot is it smb?)

WESTERN DIGITAL - HELP ME!!! i payed ~200$ for this product and can’t play a single video files! 

Thanks…

You said it worked fine on your work PC/network?   Well, doesn’t that mean that the drive itself works, and there’s something wrong in your home PC/network?

Maybe I wasn’t clear about it - my work pc has Linux installed. not windows.

If it doesn’t work well with Windows 7, then it doesn’t matter if the drive ‘works’, it should work with Windows 7.

Update - it’s not windows related.

I played the same movie from the nas on the same laptop - at my work.

everything worked great.

It’s the same laptop!! something with the switch? the router? I’m lost…

So it’s definitely not windows or the nas since it worked ok at work… what else can it be??

It could be any of that.

Bad cables, bad switch, bad switch ports, connectors, etc…

Issue solved. the problem was the dhcp server on my netgear router.

Apparently the attached clients to the router (my nas and my pc) are requesting to renew the lease from the dhcp server, but the dhcp server responds with NACK, thus causing the clients to disconnect and reconnect and this was the problem.

Now the nas works great - with a static ip, and it also solved another issue i had with usenet on my pc - it kept on getting errors of “too many connections” which was caused by too many reconnections to the usenet server.

**** netgear!