FreeNAS?

I’m currently looking into buying a NAS to be used as a home media server. I was pretty set on buying a WD My Cloud EX4, however I read this in a cnet review:

“The support for media streaming is also extremely limited: you can basically play back only the types of content natively supported by the mobile device. And only music can really be streamed; other content needs to be first buffered (temporarily downloaded) onto the mobile device before it can be played back. For example, if you want to view a photo that resides on the My Cloud NAS server using an iPad, the mobile app would first buffer the entire photo onto the mobile device before displaying it. This makes viewing even a small photo take quite a bit of time and makes it virtually impossible to stream video over a cellular connection.”

Under the specifications it lists Twonky 7.2 DLNA 1.5 & UPnP certified media server. Does the fact that this is listed as a ***deleted*** system mean I can’t utilize FreeNAS on it? Is it going to run what it has natively no matter what? Also, is it true that it buffers anything that is not an audio file? 

I’m looking to use this with FreeNAS + Roku 3. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated. Especially from people who had the same idea I did. Thank you.

Hi wirestyle22, you can check page 102 of the manual to see all of the supported formats. The paragraph you posted is referring to the files you can play remotely through your Smartphone or tablet, in order for the file to be played, your Smartphone or tablet must be compatible with the file. FreeNAS is not officially supported. 

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705113.pdf#page=107

wirestyle22 wrote:

I’m currently looking into buying a NAS to be used as a home media server. I was pretty set on buying a WD My Cloud EX4, however I read this in a cnet review:

Under the specifications it lists Twonky 7.2 DLNA 1.5 & UPnP certified media server. Does the fact that this is listed as a ***deleted*** system mean I can’t utilize FreeNAS on it? Is it going to run what it has natively no matter what? Also, is it true that it buffers anything that is not an audio file? 

I’m looking to use this with FreeNAS + Roku 3. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated. Especially from people who had the same idea I did. Thank you.

FreeNAS would completely replace the operating system on the device. What you are referring to are applications, and totally different. While its interesting it definately will not be supported.