Freaking out here! WD 2T my book essential non writable partition

I recently upgraded my OS from XP to 8.1 with the help of a friend. All is working correctly but my external harddrive. I no longer can access it. The farthest I can get is going on XP and trying to unlock it. It will let me put in my password but then says non writable partition. I’m assuming something happened when going from xp to 8.1 but I can’t firgure out what to do so I don’t loose all of my pictures and video dating back to 2008. And music too I guess. I really just care about the videos as I have my pictures all backed up on my PS3. I’m freaking out here and would LOVE some help. 

Thank you!!

Hello,

Make sure the drive is plugged in directly into a wall outlet. Avoid any power strips, surge protectors and extension cords. It is possible the drive is not getting enough power and that’s why is not recognized properly.

If you do have it connected into a wall outlet and still having issues then it is possible the partition is corrupted. It may be possible to still extract the data utilizing data recovery software. If you do a  web search for  Data Recovery  it will yield plenty of data recovery software options.

It was plugged directly into the wall, so that isn’t an issue. 

I got a call from WD and the guy told me it was a security issue when I switched my OS. That seems really stupid to me. But anyway, I let him remote in and he looked at things. He said that the only way to get the data off this drive is to use a recovery program. I’m fine with that. HOWEVER, I’ve tried two different ones so far with no luck. The drive won’t stay unlocked long enough for it to even start running. It just keeps rerunning that unlock program over and over. Thoughts on that?