Forum threads are showing as NEW when they aren't

Ditto here… One new post in this forum that isn’t there.

I’m a little confused.  Jim, Tony, did you both mark all all threads as read?   And if you did, did it clear the ghost?

To be honest, I can’t remember whether, along with refreshing and clearing my cache, whether I had also selected to mark everything in “Forum Feedback” as read, or not.

But, after I had grabbed the screenshots, I then went to the “Mark all Posts in Community as Read” and clicked that, and the ghost post(s) _ did _ disappear at that point.

I know it “shouldn’t” do that, but if I had to guess, I’d bet there had been a post erroneously in here that Tony and I hadn’t read yet, that you moved to the proper section.  We were still getting the new post notification, but the post just wasn’t in here anymore – it was elsewhere.

It’s not the end of the world to me to get ghosts like that, but it’s prolly something Lithium should eventually fix.

Yeah, if we move things, then you will get those new posts, even if they’ve already been read.  Next time click on the number, it should take you straight to the post. 

The “click on the number” technique doesn’t work for ideas, just for regular forum posts, because the Ideas sections don’t have the same kind of overview pages that the forum sections do.

I think what was confusing me, tho, is that the “Recent Comments” box is rather hit-and-miss.  It very rarely shows any comments made within the last day or two.  I think that was why I was having difficulty locating where the “unread” comments actually were.  Except for reading every comment within every idea, there was no way to get to any of the “new” comments I was being notified about.

Sure, it’s one more thing Lithium could/should have a look at, but it’s not a deal-breaker… I can just clear the notifications; I’m not concerned about missing a comment or two.

Actually, the “missing” comments can be located – it’s just an effort.  If I go to the section’s main page (such as http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Live-Plus-Media/ct-p/wdtvlive ), I can click the “view all” button in the “Recent Posts” section, and go back a few pages, and find the comments that are “new”.  It’s still easier to reset my notifications, though, and forget about the comments. :wink:

Not to belabour the point, but for information’s sake, Lithium still has some kinks to work out.

http://community.wdc.com/ shows me:

But when I go to " General Discussions", I’m greeted with:

Returning to the main Community page still shows “1 new post”.

Yeah, that’s what happens if a Mod moves a post before you’ve read it;  it still adds in the NEW COUNT for the forum it was REMOVED from.

Ya, but the last I’d heard from Bill a few months back was that Lithium was offering an update to them that Bill was hoping would fix the issue with moved posts.  Apparently Lithium needs to take another stab at it.

RoofingGuy wrote:

Ya, but the last I’d heard from Bill a few months back was that Lithium was offering an update to them that Bill was hoping would fix the issue with moved posts.  Apparently Lithium needs to take another stab at it.

Evidently, that didn’t work.  Have you tried going into Board Options and Mark All as Read? 

Ya, “Mark All” takes care of the ghost notifications… was just lettin’ ya know.

Okay, cool, thanks.  At least we have a way to get rid of them.  I do think that they’re caused when moderators move posts that haven’t been viewed yet.  But I don’t think it’s always consistent; otherwise, we’d see more of it, especially with spam.

Update for ya, Bill… besides the known issues with moved/deleted posts, I just found out why I have trouble locating the “new” Ideas and Idea comments…

In the “Latest Comments” box to the right, they are _ not _ listed in reverse chronological order.  The latest comments are generally not at the top of the list.

As far as I can tell, the “Latest Ideas” box _ is _ reverse chronological, just like the “New Solutions” boxes on the other pages.

It looks like the “Latest Comments” box follows the chronological order of the original idea, and not the latest comment itself.  So any comments on older ideas don’t show up at all.  That’s why I could usually never find any new comments that were being reported to me on the other forum pages.

So, now that I think we know why, you could perhaps ask Lithium if they can change which dates are used to sort/order/place the “Latest Comments”.

RoofingGuy wrote:

Update for ya, Bill… besides the known issues with moved/deleted posts, I just found out why I have trouble locating the “new” Ideas and Idea comments…

In the “Latest Comments” box to the right, they are _ not _ listed in reverse chronological order.  The latest comments are generally not at the top of the list.

As far as I can tell, the “Latest Ideas” box _ is _ reverse chronological, just like the “New Solutions” boxes on the other pages.

It looks like the “Latest Comments” box follows the chronological order of the original idea, and not the latest comment itself.  So any comments on older ideas don’t show up at all.  That’s why I could usually never find any new comments that were being reported to me on the other forum pages.

So, now that I think we know why, you could perhaps ask Lithium if they can change which dates are used to sort/order/place the “Latest Comments”.

I may be missing your point, but let me try to explain this.  Cause it took me a while to get it, myself, when I originally started working with this community.

When you open an idea exchange you have three tabs facing you: Hot Ideas, New Ideas, and Top Ideas.  The page always opens on the Hot Ideas tab.  Below is a short definition of each.

• Hot Ideas = Most active ideas, at the moment, to least active.
  • New Ideas = Lists ideas from newest to oldest.
  • Top Ideas = Most voted on ideas to least voted on ideas.

Those tabs are designed for quick navigation to the three most common combinations of ideas.  If you are looking for the newest idea posted, you need to click on the New Ideas tab.  It starts with the newest, most recent idea. 

When it comes to the idea comments, they are set by default to go from the oldest to the newest.  So, the newest will always be at the bottom of the list.  It’s set up exactly the same as posts in a board elsewhere in the community. 

Now, the difference between an idea exchange and other boards is when you click on a board it lists all the threads in the board.  It also lists and links any new replies in a thread/topic, so you can click on that number to take you to the oldest post you haven’t read yet in that thread.  However, the ideas exchanges are a little different.  When the exchange is opened, the list is compiled showing the full idea with the total comments (& new) in the bottom left corner.  They are linked, and they should take you to the oldest post of the new/unread comments.  This is the default behavior of the community software.  View image below.

Sorry Bill… I’ll try to be clearer.

I always knew when I saw the number of “New” ideas, that that was a combination of new Ideas themselves, and new comments posted on existing ideas.

But when I was having problems finding the “new” posts, I could usually find any actual new Ideas… what I could usually never find was the “new” comments it was telling me about.

So when I see this:

I’d always been looking for the new comments (such as this re: AAC 5.1 one) in this list:

You’ll notice that that last comment added to the Ideas forum does not show up in the “Latest” list.

That “Latest Comments” list is sorted by the date of the original Idea.  It is not sorted by the dates of the comments themselves.

Any comments added to the most recent Ideas are easy enough to find… but I think the reason I could never find some of the Ideas comments that I was being told were new, is because they were comments made on old Ideas, and I’d essentially have to scour every idea in order to find the “new” comments.

So, I was suggesting that you suggest to Lithium that that “Latest Comments” box actually go by the dates of the actual comments themselves, and not by the dates of the Ideas that they are in response to.

Still clear as mud? :wink:

(excuse the shaky hand for the arrows :stuck_out_tongue:)

Notice that the order follows the order of the actual original Idea that the comment is in response to.

I know for a fact that I made the Win7 Sharing comment after the WiFi and Netflix ones.  The way everything else on the site works, (such as the “New Solutions” boxes, and the “Latest Ideas” box itself) I’d expect the “Latest Comments” box to work the same, with the newest entries at the top.

In fact, assuming it worked that way, I was thinking comments were going missing because I could never find anything “new” that I hadn’t read yet.

Really, any association between latest comments and newest ideas is going to be incidental.  If a new comment comes in on an old idea, you won’t find the idea in the new idea listing.  And I’m sure you know that.  But it also means that a brand new idea won’t necessarily have its post showing up in the new comments very long either.   That’s just because a new idea can sit there for hours or days, while new comments can be coming in within minutes of each other.  You miss a day of checking the new ideas and new comments, and you may not find the new comment of the new idea.

Now the real problem is how can you easily check all new comments, regardless whether they’re part of a new idea or not.  I’ll check into that.  Cause I agree that if you can’t, it’s a limitation of the software and it shouldn’t be.