Format to FAT32 for PS3!

Hey everyone, I just bought a 320 GB My Passport Essential USB 3.0 and I want to format it to FAT32 so I could use it with my PS3. My OS is Windows 7 so can anyone please point me to an easy program that will solve this issue?

How to format a WD external hard drive in FAT32 (to use in Windows or Mac OSX)

“As Windows is unable to format a drive over 32 GB in FAT32, the use of third-party software is required. Western Digital cannot assist in acquiring or using third-party software to format a drive as FAT32. There are many different applications (many of them free) that can accomplish this. We recommend doing a search on Google or Bing by Microsoft for more information.”

I’ve never used any of them, so I can’t recommend a specific one, but there’s many apps to do it.

"Using Third-Party Software (For newer (made after 2007) external hard drives)

As Windows is unable to format a drive over 32 GB in FAT32, the use of third-party software is required. Western Digital cannot assist in acquiring or using third-party software to format a drive as FAT32. There are many different applications (many of them free) that can accomplish this. We recommend doing a search on  Google or  Bing by Microsoft for more information. If you have access to an Apple Mac, we are able to provide support for formatting the drive as FAT32 under that OS. You may also wish to ask on our  Community Forums for community assistance if you need help finding or using a FAT32 formatting application."

So I still need someone to help me find a good formatting application that will work with my hard disk :cry:

There are many, and I don’t know which ones to recommend since I’ve never used them.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=FAT32+formatter

Just to let you know. Some have reported that the newest PS3 version and software updates have blocked using external drives. If you encounter problems check on that.

Joe

I just wanted someone who had the same problem as mine to recommend a program which worked for him/her.

This one should work http://www.partition-tool.com/ Partitioning isn’t something many of us do very often.

Joe

1 Like