Format 2 TB HDD - FAT 32

Is it advisable to do format my 2 TB HDD in FAt 32 File System?

Well, it depends. Why are you concerned about it?

My LG TV Supports FAT 32 so I want to format my HDD but I want to know the cons. Because last time when I did, my HDD crashed.

My LG TV Supports FAT 32 so I want to format my HDD but I want to know the cons. Because last time when I did, my HDD crashed.

Well, something else went wrong with the drive. Formatting one format over another won’t “crash” an HDD.

If your TV only supports FAT32, then you don’t have much of a choice other than use it or don’t. :slight_smile:

My question : 2 Tb hdd fat 32 format won’t have any problem, right?

The 2 problems you will encounter are …

1. Windows only supports formatting of FAT32 up to a Maximum of 32GB.
    So, you will have to use 3rd Party Software to format a 2TB HDD to FAT32.

2. FAT32 supports a Maximum file size of 4GB … so, if you have any videos/movie files larger the 4GB you won’t be able to copy them to the 2TB HDD.

If your LG TV supported exFAT or NTFS then you wouldn’t have either of these problems.

EDIT: looking at an LG Tips page from 2015 … it says LG Supports FAT32 & NTFS

Is your LG TV older than 3 years ?

1 Like

I bought this one month ago. Its 2018 model though. LG still supports only FAT32 it seems.

Can you please post the full Model Number of the LG TV so i can check the online user manual … because i find it very surprising that a 2018 TV only supports FAT32 :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

As a comparison, I purchased a Panasonic TV early 2018 and it supports FAT32, exFAT and NTFS.