Foolishly playing with apt-get autoremove -f has removed most of what makes my My Cloud work. Help needed please!

Hi there

I’ve been playing about with my My Cloud and I’ve accidentally done something that I’m having problems undoing.

I thought it’d be a good idea to update the software on my NAS and I seem to have removed everything. Twonky, the dashboard, the whole lot.

I’m still SSH’d into the device, so I can make changes. I found a list of what was removed in /var/log/apt/history.log but I don’t seem to be able to reinstall anything (although I can download files from the internet using wget if that helps)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You learned a vary valuable lesson don’t attempt to do an “apt-get” to update the My Cloud firmware. Not the first time someone has done it and asked how to recover. If you still have SSH access you could try an firmware update to see if it restores the content you deleted, provided portions of the firmware are still there. Note make sure to use the latest firmware version for your My Cloud. The directions below are for the v4.x firmware My Clouds.

https://community.wd.com/t/how-to-firmware-update-via-ssh/95476/2

You’re right, this is a learning experience! Thanks for the advice. I’d had (what I thought was) a good look around but couldn’t find anything specific to my situation.

As far as the guide you linked goes, I managed to download the firmware and now I realise that I can’t unzip anything. Also the shell script in the last step isn’t where it says I can find it. It’s just frustrating because I know this has to be fixable!

Can you still access the shares via an external client? Do mv and cp still work?

If so, you might be able to unzip using a PC. And you may be able to delve into the distribution and find the install script.

Otherwise, it’s unbricking time, I think…