Follow up to our post of 4 Dec 09 regarding problems with the firmware update 1.01.12 for WD TV Live HD Media Players

We have tracked the problem to the Internet update process for WD TV Live firmware version 1.01.12. The firmware version is functioning normally, the problem intermittently occurred when using the Internet to update WD TV Live to version 1.01.12. If you’ve successfully installed update 1.01.12, there’s nothing further you need to do.

If your product failed during the update process, we will replace it free of charge. Please contact our customer service department. [Link http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en]

The product in stores and shipping today is functioning normally. Update version 1.01.11, and the Internet update process for 1.01.11 are also functioning normally. So if you own a product that you haven’t updated, or buy a product today, you can safely update it with version 1.01.11, which is now the most current update.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

1 Like

Nik71 wrote:

We have tracked the problem to the Internet update process for WD TV Live firmware version 1.01.12. The firmware version is functioning normally, the problem intermittently occurred when using the Internet to update WD TV Live to version 1.01.12. .

In other words, If I try to update with an USB stick to 1.01.12  I cannot brick my WD TV Live?

1.01.12 is not available right now for public. If you downloaded it earlier, there’s a possibility that you got a bad firmware (which can brick your box). Yes, there are some complaints in the forum of boxes getting bricked by local upgrade (using USB stick). Therefore, just wait till they release a new firmware with a different number.

I think the team should abandon 1.01.12 altogether and bring out a firmware with a new version number, just to be on the safe side. I would never install anything with “1.01.12” written on it! 

1 Like

Hi OMDB-PILoT - I’m wondering if there is a chance new firmware will be able to wakeup bricked units.  I’ve waited for about a week for a solution but I’m now thinking I should just cut my losses and send this bricked unit back.

Just take it back from where you got it, or RMA it, make them pay for shipping there and back, and get a new one. They will not issue a fix, their website says to RMA or get a replacement. Mine was from best buy and they swapped it for me.

Back to normal on my lovely WD LIve - ■■■■ happens, but am happy to have my network capabilities back.

I don’t know if you’ve had a chance to read this post, but it answers all your questions, hopefully.

FAQ for WD TV Live devices affected by Firmware Release 1.01.12
http://community.wdc.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Announcements/thread-id/18