Folders Within Public Share Read-Only after Firmware Update

You guys probably have something “unknown” going on.

Enable ssh, login and post up the output to the following command

NOTE: I used awk to remove your folder name

cd /shares/Public

ls -l |awk ‘{print $1,$3,$4}’   

When firmware is updated it changes /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2.  Which are configured as raid.  There should be nothing done to the files on /dev/sda4.  What could be happening is that the passwd or group file is changed.  Are they changing users or group information?

Maybe  people could post the two files for version 422,303,307.  Just make sure they don’t contain any private information.

Thanks

RAC

Solved problem for me - thanks!

Folks. Try updating your WD My Cloud to the latest firmware. WD released an updated firmware (04.04.00-308) sometime late yesterday after the previous firmware release earlier in the day that claims to “Resolved issue of unable to create new folders or write to folders after firmware update”.

frankiep wrote:

I also updated to latest firmware. Resolved nothing!

What do you mean it didn’t resolve anything?  Were you having this issue before the update?  And what firmware were you on when you were having the issue?

How about posting some sticky threads on this forum, announcing:

i) the launch of 04.04.00.308 firmware (like used to happen with firmware releases)

ii) a thread for reporting problems with the new firmware release

iii) the launch of the new OS3 apps (even if this is just a placeholder to tnotification threads in other forums).

That’s assuming the 308 firmware and OS3 apps are actually officially released.

Users have been moaning for weeks about the loss of remote access, and you’ve been promising ‘any day now’. If that day has finally arrived, I’d expect you to be publicising it wherever possible, in big, glowing fiery letters. Not dumping a throwaway comment in one of the dozens of threads complaining about problems with 303/307 firmware.

cpt_paranoia wrote:

How about posting some sticky threads on this forum, announcing:

i) the launch of 04.04.00.308 firmware (like used to happen with firmware releases)

ii) a thread for reporting problems with the new firmware release

iii) the launch of the new OS3 apps (even if this is just a placeholder to tnotification threads in other forums).

That’s assuming the 308 firmware and OS3 apps are actually officially released.

Users have been moaning for weeks about the loss of remote access, and you’ve been promising ‘any day now’. If that day has finally arrived, I’d expect you to be publicising it wherever possible, in big, glowing fiery letters. Not dumping a throwaway comment in one of the dozens of threads complaining about problems with 303/307 firmware.

Actually, I did that yesterday.  I don’t know if you’ve seen it, but I posted an official release announcement on the Announcement board and on every product board this firmware has been released for.  Also, we want users to create specific issue threads, instead of one long thread covering everything where issues end up gettting lost.  I will have the mods consolidate loose topics into relevant topics, though.  That should help.

Actually, I did that yesterday.  I don’t know if you’ve seen it, but I posted an official release announcement on the Announcement board

I don’t read the ‘Announcements’ board. Sorry for not using the forums in the WD-approved manner. I just read the MyCloud forum, since that’s the product I own , and where I expect to see announcements regarding the MyCloud product. Is there a forum called ‘Beware of the Leopard’?

and on every product board this firmware has been released for.

Nope. There’s no sticky thread on the MyCloud forum, on either the 307 or 308 firmware, or the actual launch of the OS3 components. The last post regarding firmware or OS3 releases is dated three weeks ago:

It’s right there at the top of the list. 

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Cloud/New-Release-WD-My-Cloud-OS-3-0-Operating-Software-9-28-15/m-p/901281

[edit]

We’re not naming the firmware version other than current firmware.  If you click on that, you see what version it is.  Also, I just edited the existing announcment with the new announcement.  So, I can see why you may have missed it.

Also, I just edited the existing announcment with the new announcement.  So, I can see why you may have missed it.

Right. The forum will not identify this as a new post. Therefore, there appears to be nothing new for me to read.

How about adding a post to that thread so people might see there’s a new post, and read it?  People tend not to keep re-reading old posts in the hope that someone might have edited it…

I recreated the post and added another post stating the current firmware.  That should help. Thanks for letting me know.

My public folder has been read only since Friday’s rollout of firmware 307. I updated to 308 yesterday as suggested in these threads. This did NOT resolve the issue.  Still can’t toggle the “public” switch in dashboard for my public folder.  If I try to add files or delete in the public folder it gives me a permissions error. Seems to be a common issue with lots of people but nobody has given any solutions.

Welcome to the Community.

If you updated the firmware to the latest 4.04.00-308 release and still experience this issue then maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact.aspx

Regards,

Trancer.

After the automatic applicatioin of the v04.04.00-307 Firmware all of my Public folders on MyCloud 3TB were as marked read-only.    Running Windows 8 and Windows 7 on my home network.  Applying update v04.04.00-308 did not correct it.  I had to ssh to the device and go to each folder in Public and execute chmod 777 to make them read/write.   That solved the issue but I am wondering if there was a better solution or a patch from WD available to correct this.  

Welcome to the Community.

Thank you very much for sharing with the WD Community what resolved your issue. Even though SSH is not recommended by Western Digital, it can be used by advanced Users in order to change the unit’s behavior.

Regards,

Trancer.

Hi Trancer.

Please advise if there was a better solution to resolve.  I  would have preferred not to use SSH either.

Thanks.

Hi, It’s great you fixed your drive, many people are still having problems like myself with no help from support still and the new firmware still not fixing the issuse.

Would you be kind enough to tell us how you did this using ssh, a tutorial would be great

Thanks in advance

I access My Cloud using a laptop running Windows 10, an Android tablet and an Android phone. All of my files are in the public folder nd before the update I was able to add, read, modify and delete from all three devices. After the update I can only read. I have tried doing a system only factory restore, mapping the drive and everything else recommended on here outside of a firmware rollback.

I get up this morning and now I cannot access the drive at all through windows explorer or any of my android devices. When I run a system diagnosis it is stuck at 90%. I notice I can access it if I type in an IP address but not through the network address.

Is there a fix to this?

Hi everyone

I face the same problem after the firmware update , i can not copy files on my public folder , but i can copy on other folders. 

I have tried the system-only restore option and i have re-set my account settings but nothing happened. Before the firmware update everything works great.

Is there anyway to fix this issue?

As stated by user init0, WD has a fix to the write problem.  Called support, after a few minutes of reviewing my case and re-explaining my issue the tech checked with his supervisor who apparently knows the problem, no need for level II, the tech did a remote session, installed the firmware update and all is well again, the file name is fix_permission.ded (I think that was the extension, not at my PC at the moment).  Total process time was about 50 minutes.