Folders Within Public Share Read-Only after Firmware Update

Ronnv wrote:

I’m curious, have you updated to the firmware they released today?  I haven’t checked all my files, only the one I knew I had problems with, but based on what you experienced I will check more.

Not yet, I’ll try it when I get home.

Doesn’t work.  They call it a fix, but still doesn’t resolve issues with read/write to public folders, even after a refresh. Back to the drawing board techs.

Just updated the firmware and am still having problems with one folder. It’s a permissions issue that I can’t resolve.

Ganyon

• enable ssh
  • login as root (will be prompt for old and new password
  • cd /shares/Public
  • ls -l

Feel free to switch up or delete the directory names, but DO NOT deleter the root share column data.

IE: user root in group named share

Anyway, I had a directory called  /shares/Public/Virtual-Machine-Backups that was root root so I changed it like this.

chown -R root.share /shares/Public/Virtual-Machine-Backups

That did it, thank you so much for the step by step since I have never used SSH before.

Sure.  

You need to be failry familiar with linux-type operating system commands.  

Warning:   Using SSH and os commands could trash your data and brick your device if you are not careful. Linux os commands are powerful and unforgiving. You can also void your warranty.

Search the internet on how to make a SSH connection to your mybooklive or mycloud device.  There are many articles about it. There is free SSH terminal software on the internet to make the connection.  Putty.exe is one of them.  You will have to enable SSH on your device.  Do that in Settings > Network on the device dashboard.  Once connected to the device navigate to the public folder using cd (change directory) commands.  Your Public folders are under the “shares” under the root directory.  Once you are in Public simply execute a recursive chmod -R 777 on each affected folder.   This will update the folders to be read/write/execute capable.  Thats it.

here is the step by step:

1. enable  SSH on your device from the dashboard Setting > Network > Network Services > Enable SSH and reboot your device.

2. get SSH software.  I use Bitvise SSH client 6.31.  You could also use putty.exe. 

https://www.bitvise.com/

1. login to device:

SSH software will need the ip address of your device to connect.  

username is ‘root’

password is ‘welc0me’

4.  Once connected it will give you a black-screen command console window to perform your commands. Reminds me of old DOS.screens  You will need to navigate to the shares using the floowing linux command.   press after each command.  enter the commads exactly as shown.    

cd …

cd … 

cd …

cd shares       

cd Public    

ls    

Note that the cd command is followed by 2 periods.  that tells is to to go 1 level in the directory tree. 

Unix is case sensitive.  shares is all lower case.  Public is upper-lower case.

5.  then start your updates.  enter the commads exactly as shown.  

sudo chmod -R 777 “/shares/Public/Shared Pictures/”

repeat the chmod command for each affected  folder. etc. etc. etc.

sudo chmod -R 777 “/shares/Public/Shared Music/”

sudo chmod -R 777 “/shares/Public/Shared Videos/”

Note that the folder name is encloded in double quotes. 

Note that unix WILL NOT give you any kind of “sucessfully complete” message

1. when done:  execute the exit comand:

exit

thats it !   piece of cake.

Warning:   Using SSH and os commands could trash your data and brick your device if you are not careful. Linux os commands are powerful and unforgiving. You can also void your warranty.   You need to be failry familiar with linux-type operating system commands.    Again - don’t try it if you arent familiar with linux.       

Hello everyone!

I am new to forums,

I would like to add that after the firmware update over the weekend 9/27/2015…I could no longer scan and send to specific folder on our Network printer Cannon iRunner 1023if. I would get error message #0804.

After a few minutes of troubleshooting, I simply added another favorite button in our netwotk printer with SAME Name, Host, Path…and problem fixed!

Is very strange though…how the old specified button stoped working!!!

Anyways…just wanted to pass it along in case anybody else experiences this same issue.

Just a reminder; here’s how firmware upgrades used to be announced: nice and clearly. They are ‘unstuck’ when superseded.

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Cloud/My-Cloud-Firmware-4-01-04-42-2-Feedback/m-p/874055

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Cloud/New-Release-WD-My-Cloud-Firmware-Release-4-01-03-421-2-23-15/td-p/859053

Hi there not sure if anyone encounter this but i recently tried to delete something on my 2TB WD MY cloud drive i no longer have the ability to do so. I’ve tried a couple of things on different computers same problem, on my phone same problem. I tried to reboot same problem, shutdown same problem, and I even tried to rebuild my drive same issue. I’m not seeing any type of error code all I get is error when trying to delete.

any solutions before i do the factor restore, I have tons of movies on there I really don’t want to lose them.

any help would be great

thanks

do you have auto update checked on the firmware?  this latest update seems to be very buggy. Maybe thats your problem.  

So i think i know what’s going on here. I’m able to delete any files except MKV files. All MPG or Avi files no problem. How weird is that?

seems the new Firmware has created problems for many users.  Im sure you can see the other posts.  good luck. 

If you’re having permissions issue trying to delete anyhthing in the Public Share folder…using Samba, then:

1. reboot windows and connect through Samba with you device username.
  2. contact WD and ask for the Public Folder permissions path.

same problem for me too.

So I thought I found a  temporary solution within windows in the network locate your WD drive that way and delete whatever you need to delete from there. It didn’t work it looked like it deleted the file but came back. Oh well **bleep**!

Since the latest undate (v04.04.00-307) on Friday, September 25, 2015 5:43:43 AM, I haven’t been able to make any changes in my Public folder. I can see the folders and files and open them, but I don’t have permissions to rename, add or delete. Anyone know what’s happened? Thursday night everything was fine, then I woke up Friday morining not being able to add/change anything to MyCloud. I went to Dashboard and the permissions haven’t changed; I’m the only user. I even tried using the  WD MyCloud app on my MacBook just in case it was an issue with accessing through SMB, but I can’t even do anything with their own program. Any ideas?  Apologies if this thread has posted somewhere else before, I just didn’t seen it. 

Thanks!

There are nine threads on the first page discussing this a the moment.

It’s time Support escaped this… Mods: care to prod them…?

Already read that, no help there, and I didn’t have a problem until the most recent update but thanks for the link.

Raise a job with Support, ideally pointing out the other threads. It looks like this isn’t an isolated problem.

i’m having the same problem not even able to delete or rename files so fraustrating!