Folders converted to shortcuts on my 1TB MyBook

Hi all,

I have a really weird problem with my external 1TB MyBook drive. All of a sudden all the folders in the root of MyBook appear as shortcuts to C:\Windows\System32. This image below shows the list of folders in MyBook that now appear as shortcuts.

Here you can see that the shortcuts point to C:\Windows\System32.

If I click on one of the shortcuts, I end up being on the actual folder and I can see the content. For example, here’s a screenshot of the content in the Documentation folder of MyBook, as you see, the folder and files there are ok.

If I check the properties of any of the shortcuts in the root of MyBook, the destination they have is as follows (this is for example the destination of the shortcut to the Documentation folder):

%windir%\system32\cmd.exe /c "start %cd%RECYCLER\e621ca05.exe &&%windir%\explorer.exe %cd%Documentation

Does anybody know what may be causing this problem? I need to turn shortcuts back to folders but I want to be sure that the data in my disk is ok and safe.

Thanks for your help!

Diego

This is caused by a virus, you may scan the disk with an antivirus, transfer the files to another location, reformat the drive, then you can transfer the files back to it.

Yup VIRUS :cry:

I don’t what you have for AV but you might also want to check with free MBAM http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free  

Joe

As what Joe said, run MBAM.  I would run it on both the internal hard drive of your computer as well as the external hard drive.  As far as getting the folders back, go to the Administrative command line in Windows and type in this code:

x:\
attrib -h -s *.* /S /D

X is the external hard drive partition letter.