Folder View annoyance

So I just got my WD TV LIVE Streaming 2011 new model today.

I have a 15TB unRAID NAS that I store all my stuff in, I used my old WD TV LIVE PLUS to watch videos from it. Works great. I only use folder.jpg in each movie folder to show thumbnail art.

Got the WD TV Live since I wanted the new UI and possible speed improvements.

I like how it saves the last viewed network share, so when I select Videos from the main menu, it shows my NAS without me having to choose Server, select my server, then connect etc like the old WDTVLIVE+.

One thing that irks me is the VIEWs.
The old WD TV Live PLUS looks like this:

Now the new WD TV Live Streaming looks like this:Ā 

Ughhhā€¦ soo ugly.

Hopefully WD fixes the metadata ability for items stored on a nas/network share, then the white boxes will be filled with information and I wonā€™t be as grumpy.

Buuuutttā€¦ they should add a new view for JUST the FOLDER coverart!

1 Like

nXtIak wrote:

Buuuutttā€¦ they should add a new view for JUST the FOLDER coverart!

Thatā€™s what custom themes are for.   

Iā€™m with the OP on this oneā€¦

I would like to customize the theme to act a little differently, and a little more like the Plus.

What I would really like to do is modify the stock theme itself, however I do not see how to get a copy of the stock theme for the wd tv live streaming media player so I can modify itā€¦

I see the one for the wd live hubā€¦Ā 

Also I see in other threads the tv live streaming has limited capacity for storing themes, if I add a usb stick, will it use that to store the themes I want to upload to it so I can mess with customized theming.Ā 

You can get the stock theme out of the GPL package.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=1011&sid=161&lang=en

Thatā€™s what custom themes are for.   

I just got this. I donā€™t see anywhere to get themes, and the theme option on the WD TV LIVE only shows 1 (the current installed default one), I donā€™t see anywhere to get new themes.

Iā€™m already spending a lot of time using the WDTV meta data windows program some people have made in the live hub forum to get my stuff on my NAS to show up correctly with itā€™s metadata, I donā€™t have time or care to learn how to make/modify themesā€¦ anyways just sayingā€¦ WD took a step backwards with this one.

I agree, thatā€™s not too good.

One other thing I donā€™t care for with the old version which appears to have passed forward to this is that the highlighting of the selected item isnā€™t very clear.

As in your pics,on the old WD the item selected has a thin blue border, whilst on the new model it appears to be orange, but if anything even thinner and less noticeable.

Itā€™d be nice if the folder image of the highlighted item could be normal brightness and all the other images dimmed, and/or the selected folder could do to ā€˜pop outā€™ and become a little larger.

Steve W

Sorry for bumping this thread. I agree with the OP on this and wanted to know what the best way of getting a similar folder view to the old GUI. Noticed on some of the user themes they had changed the galley view to achieve this. Is it possible to do easily without making any other changes to the default GUI.

Sure itā€™s possible.

In fact, Iā€™ve done it.Ā 

1 Like

Thatā€™s better!

How did you do that?Ā  Difficult?

Steve W

Yes Yes Yes,

Please please please share

I would be interested as well.Ā  I have taken a quick look through the GPL source and canā€™t seem to find the specific location to pull the default mochi theme to take a look at editing it.

The Mochi theme is in

PALACE_1.03.10_G/src/libs/RES_RV/resource

Sure enough, thanks Tony!Ā  Care to elaborate which .xml file you have to edit to get the old school poster view working?Ā  rv_gallery_browse_page.xml perhaps?

Thanks to Tony (The credit goes to him)

He did this modification to theĀ  rv_gallery_browse_page.xml when WD released the WDTV Live Hub product, the same XML code modifications should work for WDTV Live SMP

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<page background="./image/RV-BG.jpg">
  <!-- Modified Legacy Theme by Vistawall Idea from Tonyph12345-->
  <image image="image/keyboard_mask_bg.png" x="0" y="0" w="1280" h="720" bg="1" disable="@@disable-thumbnail-bg" />
  <image image="@@preview_rect_image" default_image="@@default_preview_rect_image" x="0" y="0" w="1280" h="720" textcolor="@@preview_rect_color" keycolor="1" ignore_keycolor="1" bg="1" />
  <image image="image/video_browse_gallery_overlay.png" x="0" y="0" w="1280" h="720" bg="1" />
  <ctrlgrp>
    <include filename="./rv_multi_edit_ctrls.xml" />
    <include filename="./rv_browse_common_ctrls.xml" />
    <linebreak />
    <listbox valkey="browselist" move="row" cols="7" rows="2" lbmask="ud" hormove="1" loop_scroll="1" autoenter="1" />
  </ctrlgrp>
  <text x="155" y="610" w="970" h="42" text="@@browse_text" fontsize="24" textcolor="0xffffff" align="hcenter" speed="1" delay="2" />
  <image image="@@metadata_left_arrow" x="57" y="338" w="39" h="53" align="hcenter" scale_type="fixratio" scale="100" />
  <image image="@@metadata_right_arrow" x="1180" y="338" w="39" h="53" align="hcenter" scale_type="fixratio" scale="100" />
  <widgetghost valkey="marquee" x="29" y="168" w="1226" h="386" ctrlname="browselist" step="20">
    <!--thumbnail bg -->
    <wrapper w="122" h="169" align="hcenter" scale_type="fixratio" scale="100" selected_scale="100">
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_0" x="143" y="176" active="@@act-browselist-0" disable="@@bg_disable_0" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_1" x="289" y="176" active="@@act-browselist-1" disable="@@bg_disable_1" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_2" x="435" y="176" active="@@act-browselist-2" disable="@@bg_disable_2" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_3" x="581" y="176" active="@@act-browselist-3" disable="@@bg_disable_3" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_4" x="727" y="176" active="@@act-browselist-4" disable="@@bg_disable_4" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_5" x="873" y="176" active="@@act-browselist-5" disable="@@bg_disable_5" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_6" x="1020" y="176" active="@@act-browselist-6" disable="@@bg_disable_6" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_7" x="143" y="376" active="@@act-browselist-7" disable="@@bg_disable_7" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_8" x="289" y="376" active="@@act-browselist-8" disable="@@bg_disable_8" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_9" x="435" y="376" active="@@act-browselist-9" disable="@@bg_disable_9" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_10" x="581" y="376" active="@@act-browselist-10" disable="@@bg_disable_10" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_11" x="727" y="376" active="@@act-browselist-11" disable="@@bg_disable_11" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_12" x="873" y="376" active="@@act-browselist-12" disable="@@bg_disable_12" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_13" x="1020" y="376" active="@@act-browselist-13" disable="@@bg_disable_13" />
    </wrapper>
    <!--thumbnail bg_f -->
    <wrapper w="134" h="187" align="hcenter" scale_type="fixratio" scale="100" selected_scale="100">
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_0" x="137" y="168" active="@@act-browselist-0" disable="@@bg_f_disable_0" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_1" x="283" y="168" active="@@act-browselist-1" disable="@@bg_f_disable_1" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_2" x="429" y="168" active="@@act-browselist-2" disable="@@bg_f_disable_2" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_3" x="575" y="168" active="@@act-browselist-3" disable="@@bg_f_disable_3" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_4" x="721" y="168" active="@@act-browselist-4" disable="@@bg_f_disable_4" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_5" x="867" y="168" active="@@act-browselist-5" disable="@@bg_f_disable_5" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_6" x="1013" y="168" active="@@act-browselist-6" disable="@@bg_f_disable_6" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_7" x="137" y="368" active="@@act-browselist-7" disable="@@bg_f_disable_7" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_8" x="283" y="368" active="@@act-browselist-8" disable="@@bg_f_disable_8" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_9" x="429" y="368" active="@@act-browselist-9" disable="@@bg_f_disable_9" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_10" x="575" y="368" active="@@act-browselist-10" disable="@@bg_f_disable_10" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_11" x="721" y="368" active="@@act-browselist-11" disable="@@bg_f_disable_11" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_12" x="867" y="368" active="@@act-browselist-12" disable="@@bg_f_disable_12" />
      <image image="@@rv_browse_page_bg_13" x="1013" y="368" active="@@act-browselist-13" disable="@@bg_f_disable_13" />
    </wrapper>
    <!--selected item-->
    <wrapper w="122" h="169" align="hcenter" scale_type="fixratio" scale="100" selected_scale="100">
      <image image="@@checked_0" x="143" y="176" active="@@@@act-browselist-0" />
      <image image="@@checked_1" x="289" y="176" active="@@@@act-browselist-1" />
      <image image="@@checked_2" x="435" y="176" active="@@@@act-browselist-2" />
      <image image="@@checked_3" x="581" y="176" active="@@@@act-browselist-3" />
      <image image="@@checked_4" x="727" y="176" active="@@@@act-browselist-4" />
      <image image="@@checked_5" x="873" y="176" active="@@@@act-browselist-5" />
      <image image="@@checked_6" x="1020" y="176" active="@@@@act-browselist-6" />
      <image image="@@checked_7" x="143" y="376" active="@@act-browselist-7" />
      <image image="@@checked_8" x="289" y="376" active="@@act-browselist-8" />
      <image image="@@checked_9" x="435" y="376" active="@@act-browselist-9" />
      <image image="@@checked_10" x="581" y="376" active="@@act-browselist-10" />
      <image image="@@checked_11" x="727" y="376" active="@@act-browselist-11" />
      <image image="@@checked_12" x="873" y="376" active="@@act-browselist-12" />
      <image image="@@checked_13" x="1020" y="376" active="@@act-browselist-13" />
    </wrapper>
    <!--thumbnail -->
    <wrapper w="114" h="161" align="hcenter" scale="100" scale_type="fixratio" selected_scale="100">
      <image name="th0" image="@@browse_0_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_0" x="147" y="180" active="@@act-browselist-0" disable="@@thumbnail_disable_0" />
      <image name="th1" image="@@browse_1_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_1" x="293" y="180" active="@@act-browselist-1" disable="@@thumbnail_disable_1" />
      <image name="th2" image="@@browse_2_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_2" x="439" y="180" active="@@act-browselist-2" disable="@@thumbnail_disable_2" />
      <image name="th3" image="@@browse_3_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_3" x="585" y="180" active="@@act-browselist-3" disable="@@thumbnail_disable_3" />
      <image name="th4" image="@@browse_4_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_4" x="731" y="180" active="@@act-browselist-4" disable="@@thumbnail_disable_4" />
      <image name="th5" image="@@browse_5_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_5" x="877" y="180" active="@@act-browselist-5" disable="@@thumbnail_disable_5" />
      <image name="th6" image="@@browse_6_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_6" x="1023" y="180" active="@@act-browselist-6" disable="@@thumbnail_disable_6" />
      <image name="th7" image="@@browse_7_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_7" x="147" y="380" active="@@act-browselist-7" disable="@@thumbnail_disable_7" />
      <image name="th8" image="@@browse_8_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_8" x="293" y="380" active="@@act-browselist-8" disable="@@thumbnail_disable_8" />
      <image name="th9" image="@@browse_9_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_9" x="439" y="380" active="@@act-browselist-9" disable="@@thumbnail_disable_9" />
      <image name="th10" image="@@browse_10_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_10" x="585" y="380" active="@@act-browselist-10" disable="@@thumbnail_disable_10" />
      <image name="th11" image="@@browse_11_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_11" x="731" y="380" active="@@act-browselist-11" disable="@@thumbnail_disable_11" />
      <image name="th12" image="@@browse_12_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_12" x="877" y="380" active="@@act-browselist-12" disable="@@thumbnail_disable_12" />
      <image name="th13" image="@@browse_13_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_13" x="1023" y="380" active="@@act-browselist-13" disable="@@thumbnail_disable_13" />
    </wrapper>
    <!--thumbnaili_f -->
    <wrapper w="126" h="179" align="hcenter" scale="100" scale_type="fixratio" selected_scale="100">
      <image name="th0_f" image="@@browse_0_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_0" x="141" y="172" active="@@act-browselist-0" disable="@@thumbnail_f_disable_0" />
      <image name="th1_f" image="@@browse_1_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_1" x="287" y="172" active="@@act-browselist-1" disable="@@thumbnail_f_disable_1" />
      <image name="th2_f" image="@@browse_2_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_2" x="433" y="172" active="@@act-browselist-2" disable="@@thumbnail_f_disable_2" />
      <image name="th3_f" image="@@browse_3_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_3" x="579" y="172" active="@@act-browselist-3" disable="@@thumbnail_f_disable_3" />
      <image name="th4_f" image="@@browse_4_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_4" x="725" y="172" active="@@act-browselist-4" disable="@@thumbnail_f_disable_4" />
      <image name="th5_f" image="@@browse_5_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_5" x="871" y="172" active="@@act-browselist-5" disable="@@thumbnail_f_disable_5" />
      <image name="th6_f" image="@@browse_6_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_6" x="1018" y="172" active="@@act-browselist-6" disable="@@thumbnail_f_disable_6" />
      <image name="th7_f" image="@@browse_7_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_7" x="141" y="372" active="@@act-browselist-7" disable="@@thumbnail_f_disable_7" />
      <image name="th8_f" image="@@browse_8_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_8" x="287" y="372" active="@@act-browselist-8" disable="@@thumbnail_f_disable_8" />
      <image name="th9_f" image="@@browse_9_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_9" x="433" y="372" active="@@act-browselist-9" disable="@@thumbnail_f_disable_9" />
      <image name="th10_f" image="@@browse_10_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_10" x="579" y="372" active="@@act-browselist-10" disable="@@thumbnail_f_disable_10" />
      <image name="th11_f" image="@@browse_11_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_11" x="725" y="372" active="@@act-browselist-11" disable="@@thumbnail_f_disable_11" />
      <image name="th12_f" image="@@browse_12_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_12" x="871" y="372" active="@@act-browselist-12" disable="@@thumbnail_f_disable_12" />
      <image name="th13_f" image="@@browse_13_thumbnail" default_image="@@default_thumbnail_13" x="1018" y="372" active="@@act-browselist-13" disable="@@thumbnail_f_disable_13" />
    </wrapper>
    <!--focus -->
    <wrapper y="448" w="134" h="187" align="hcenter" scale_type="fixratio" scale="100">
      <image image="@@frame_0" x="137" y="168" />
      <image image="@@frame_1" x="283" y="168" />
      <image image="@@frame_2" x="429" y="168" />
      <image image="@@frame_3" x="575" y="168" />
      <image image="@@frame_4" x="721" y="168" />
      <image image="@@frame_5" x="867" y="168" />
      <image image="@@frame_6" x="1013" y="168" />
      <image image="@@frame_7" x="137" y="368" />
      <image image="@@frame_8" x="283" y="368" />
      <image image="@@frame_9" x="429" y="368" />
      <image image="@@frame_10" x="575" y="368" />
      <image image="@@frame_11" x="721" y="368" />
      <image image="@@frame_12" x="867" y="368" />
      <image image="@@frame_13" x="1013" y="368" />
    </wrapper>
  </widgetghost>
  <image image="@@bg-PIP_ZOOM" x="620" y="250" w="49" h="42" disable="@@disable-PIP_ZOOM" active="@@act-PIP_ZOOM" />
  <image image="@@play_stat" x="787" y="406" w="35" h="40" />
  <image image="@@speed_stat" x="823" y="414" w="39" h="21" />
  <text x="450" y="160" w="372" h="26" text="@@text-options" fontsize="24" textcolor="0x07b5ff" align="hcenter" disable="@@disable-text-options" />
  <include filename="./rv_multi_edit_widgets_for_gallery.xml" />
  <include filename="./rv_browse_common_widgets_new.xml" />
  <include filename="./inc_loading.xml" />
  <include filename="./decoration.xml" />
</page>

It worked for me, Ā Hope it works for you.

3 Likes

VW, Iā€™m glad you kept that!

I was scrubbing my archives looking for it and couldnā€™t find it. Ā  Ā  :slight_smile:

1 Like

kudos to both of you.

when i save the theme,Ā  do i just save the resource folder as a zip and upload it or do i have to save the entire palace folder

Vistawall, Iā€™m a WDTV newbie and just starting to look at themes. Ā Iā€™m interested in the XML file you posted a couple of replies back. Ā If I take that XML code and update my default Mochi theme from the GPL code, and upload it, what will it look like? Ā Does that make the folder view look like this image that TonyPh posted?

Thanks.

Yes, That is correct.

Here is a TIP: You do not need to include everything from the GPL code for the Mochi Theme. just the modifications will suffice, The rest will be used from the Default Mochi Theme that is already there in the flash memory. In this way you are going to make less problems than uploading the entire PALACE_1.03.10_G\src\libs\RES_RV directory

Also, In this way you can keep your upload to minimum Ā (as WDTV Live SMP has theme file size limit), If all is well, you will see two themes loaded one Default Mochi that is present in the flash and the new one that will be flashed by the WEB UI and will show along side with the default theme. You can always delete your uploaded theme from the UI under appearances, But you cannot ever overwrite the default Mochi Theme.

When I make my Personal Themes, I tend to include these files so that it can have unique names in the list of themes.

1.meta.xml

2.Ā welcome.xml

1. any modified XML for example ā€œrv_gallery_browse_page.xmlā€ described in this thread

2. Assoicated Image folders that you are referencing a change in the xml above.

3. Screenshot directory with couple of images (optional)

Once you are done the editing and merging of your desired theme, You need to make a ZIP file archive and load it from the Web UI

See this thread where I posted how to upload the theme to the WDTV Live SMP

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/WDTV-Live-Streaming-User-Themes/m-p/283708#M665

Happy Modding!

:wink: