Folder icon now in middle of thumbnails

How did you all work around the duplicate thumbnail issue with network shares?  Is there a work around?  Having all of our video/music files attached to a local drive on the WDTV is not an option (we’re using 2 WDTV’s so there will always be a need for network shares one way or the other.).   I’d love to incorporate thumbnail icons for all my files but the duplicate issue makes it worthless.  I know I could flash to b-rad’s firmware but I’d like to have access to a few of the internet media apps under the official version.

I don’t get it. A month and a half later a new firmware version is released and it looks like they spent all their time introducing new bugs and not fixing something simle like this. I am very disappointed. :angry:

Any idea when this issue will be resolved?

sonny803 wrote:

Any idea when this issue will be resolved?

Unfortunately, WD does not tell us what they are working on or when it will be released. But this is not unusual. Most companies do not normally release that kind of infomation.

Any idea on how to fix this issue?

I recently purchased the WDTV player and have set a folder.jpg for each movie in the correct folder. I play my collection over a home network (W7 PC)

When browsing my collection through the WDTV I can see a folder with a play symbol in the dead centre of each thumbnail, it makes the use of thumbnails completely pointless!!

How do I get around this issue?

You cannot fix it unless you revert back to 3 firmwares ago before WD introduced this bug (it seems they don’t care about this since it is a simple bug and after 3 firmwares they still didn’t bother to fix it)

WD PLEASE FIX THIS AND THE FILE MANAGEMENT ISSUE. I HAVE BEEN WAITING TO UPDATE UNTIL THESE ISSUES ARE RESOLVED...THANK YOU

YES - this definitely needs to be fixed ! It’s quite amazing how many bugs have been introduced over time :wink:

I really like the player but the biggest disappointment for me is the use of cover art.

Its great that the player can display an image (thumbnail) but so can many other cheaper variants of network media player. To have the play icon slap bang in the middle of the thumbnail really makes the UI very poor indeed

I have shown the WDTV Live unit to many friends and they wont buy one due to this current bug. It makes the UI a total mess, I can’t believe that this bug is difficult to fix as this used to work in older firmware

Western Digital please fix this and makes this little unit a joy to navigate.

THANK YOU…

I was looking for ways to downgrade if that was possible…but saw this post…i will just wait…

I hope they will fix it in the next firmware update!

WD , dont leave us hangin on this. Let us know somethin.

3 months since this thread was started and that simple problem is not fixed yet…

I can confirm that we are working on this but I am not sure when it will be released.

Thanks Raphael_C.

That is awesome Raphael_C, I really appreciate it! I understand you don’t know when the update will be released but just knowning that you are working on it and that it will be fixed eventually is great.

Sorry WD, I am wholly unimpressed by your “working on it” comment. I sent you images and described this issue the day you rolled out the firmware. On the hub I got rid of folder icons by deleting a few lines of code and I have minimal coding experience. It cannot possibly be that hard to fix this. You obviously intend to release it with the next firmware upgrade, but it would be nice if you fixed the bugs from the last update before introducing more bugs for the community to bring to your attention.

I got the new firmware update last night and the folder icon is now back in the lower right hand corner, woo hoo! I can see my thumbnails and titles again for folders!