Flashing WD logo

The WD logo on the front of my hub has been flashing rapidly for about half an hour now.  I did a re-start and since that causes a re-compile I wonder if the logo flashes while the re-compile continues.  I tried to watch something while this is happening and the playback is choppy with no  audio even over a wired LAN connection.  I’m wondering if the compilation process slows down the playback and the slowed playback turns off the audio because I’m using HDMI & digital audio.  Any comments/suggestions?

Yes, the LED flashes while the media library compiles.

I haven’t noticed any issues with performance while it’s compiling,though…    Sometimes the UI is a little slower, but I’ve not had any problems streaming…

I realize that how long anything takes on a computer depends on how big the file is and how fast the computer is but I wonder if this is taking too long.    How long should this take?

EDIT:  This thing is  starting to ■■■■ me off.  I stopped the re-compile by turning off the media library and the playback is still  choppy with no audio.  This is the same symptom I RMAd my WD live for…twice.  What’s wrong with these things anyway?

Depends on how many files it has to compile.  If you have files on the HUB & have also saved your login info saved for your network, then it can take quite a while since it will recompile both the HUB and your network shares.  It can take over an 1 1/2 hour for mine to recomplie.  How long it takes for yours will just depend on how much of your network  you have shared.

Please read my edit.

Is it choppy if the file is on the local HD?   If so, I would wonder about the quality of the file.

If not, then I would worry about the BITRATE of the file and the network that it’s using.

The file plays perfectly on the PC where it resides.  How do I check and alter bitrates?  Most  of my files to be viewed are DVDFab backups so the details are mostly done by the software.

I read somewhere else in the forum the the DLNA is causing some problems.  You might try turning it off in the Network Settings to see if it helps anything.

Tinwarble wrote:

I read somewhere else in the forum the the DLNA is causing some problems.  You might try turning it off in the Network Settings to see if it helps anything.

Before I turned off DLNA (what ever that is) I tried both composite & component outputs.  No joy.  After turning off DLNA I got about 5 minutes of perfect video & audio before the symptoms returned on both composite and HDMI.  Did you hear anything else about DLNA?  What is it anyway?

DNLA is a spec (specification).  If a device meets the spec, it meets the requirements for basic device identification and navigation of the files on the device on a ntwk.  Google is your friend.

DLNA is supposed to make it easier for device to communicate with each other.  It stands for Digital Living Network Alliance, but there have been some reports that it isn’t working correctly on the HUB, although I haven’t experienced any problems. Most devices that have network capabilties are DLNA certified, which really only means that one DLNA device communicate with another DLNA device, or is supposed to.

I don’t know if it was asked, but are you streaming your videos via a media server or are you accessing the vids by browsing though folders?

Tinwarble wrote:

DLNA is supposed to make it easier for device to communicate with each other.  It stands for Digital Living Network Alliance, but there have been some reports that it isn’t working correctly on the HUB, although I haven’t experienced any problems. Most devices that have network capabilities are DLNA certified, which really only means that one DLNA device communicate with another DLNA device, or is supposed to.

I don’t know if it was asked, but are you streaming your videos via a media server or are you accessing the vids by browsing though folders?

No server.  Using network shares.  BTW, I do realize Google is my friend but even if I knew what DLNA meant why would I even think a device like this wasn’t compatible?  Maybe the tipoff is that they allow you to turn it off.  Anyway, I tried the hub output on component and so far it’s playing OK.  Anyone know why?

Could be that you have a bad HDMI cable or it could be a bad HDMI connector.  If it’s something that just started I would try swapping cables out first.

The HDMI cable is new but that doesn’t mean it works.  I’ll try to borrow a known good one.

This is strange.  I hadanother HDMI cable from my satellite box to theTV so I exchanged it with the WD Hub and now they both play fine.  Go figure.