(FIXED) SN850 1TB NVME - slow write speeds (3100) on x570 using M2 Chipset slots (PCH) - confirmed as a problem on MSI, ASRock, Gigabyte and Asus motherboards

Sadly nothing came back from WD, so I’ve moved on. All SN850s are now removed from my PCs and I use them in things like PS5s. Won’t ever be touching a WD NVME again.

It seems that nearly all of the m.2 WD black drives share the majority of their firmware, thus many of the bugs span multiple models. The problem with WD is that they only do at best one off fixed to a very specific model when there is enough outcry and attention given, though it is the lowest possible effort fix given that they don’t fix the root issue that can be pushed to all effected drives.

For example, the payload size issue impacts nearly all of their WD black drives, but since the original SN850 got the most attention from sites like tomshardware and others, WD pushed a fix to just that one model and got the news sites to report a fix.

The same issue remains on other WD black NVMe drives, thus if you have a SN750, SN770, and now the SN850x, the issue returns.

It it overall horrible considering that WD has decently performing drives at a good price, but with an unwillingness to fix known issues, the tech community needs to be more diligent in warning people not to buy their SSDs, especially if the drives are to be used on chipset connected PCIe lanes.