(FIXED) SN850 1TB NVME - slow write speeds (3100) on x570 using M2 Chipset slots (PCH) - confirmed as a problem on MSI, ASRock, Gigabyte and Asus motherboards

WD support came back again and offered a very loose and non-committal response. As follows.

Indeed since the drive works as intended in one slot, this means that this should be a firmware issue of the motherboard. We are working on bettering our products and services and this issue has been noted and if any issues are found on our side we will work on releasing a firmware update to fix it. Unfortunately I cannot assist further with this issue as we have not tested our drive with every motherboard model therefore we cannot guarantee that it will be compatible with all the models.

So to me this raises some questions…

• Why are WD still pursuing this as being a firmware problem on the motherboards, when several brands of motherboards all report the same issue?

• How many chipset revisions are out there that support GEN4 M2s? I can’t imagine there’s many, so why are they saying they haven’t tested ‘every’ motherboard model? Surely you’d have checked GEN4 motherboards?

I’ve requested a list of supported motherboards that have M2 PCH slot write speeds running to specification. Because now, this all feels like redirection of blame. The consistent factor here is the 850. Not my specific item but the 850 range itself, as seen by MSI and ASRock both testing 850s on x570s and seeing the exact problem.