Fixed IP Address?

How does one give the WD Live a fixed IP? 

Via the “MANUAL” setup option when configuring the network.

Like Tony said - it’s a setting in your router that you’ll have to configure. Find your listing of currently attached devices on your network (found in your router admin panel) and write down the info assigned to your WDTV. Then find where you can assign IP addresses and enter the same info there as a fixed IP for that device. 

KDyson wrote:

Like Tony said - it’s a setting in your router that you’ll have to configure. Find your listing of currently attached devices on your network (found in your router admin panel) and write down the info assigned to your WDTV. Then find where you can assign IP addresses and enter the same info there as a fixed IP for that device. 

None of that is usually necessary…

You don’t have to configure the router in any way to do manual addressing of network devices.

Gotcha.

I have IP reservations on most everything on my network just to keep things in order and using the admin interface on the router was the easiest way (for me) to do it. 

Ahh.  I follow you.

Yeah, that IS an important step…  I do have a “block” of non-DHCP space defined on my router, too.

I have reserved an IP on the router for the WD Live, but I’ve found that for network devices it helps to tell the device which address I have fixed. 

So, it’s Setup>Network>Manually enter the wireless network name?  Must be an option that comes up after entering the network name.  I’ll try it.

Interestingly enough, my new ASUS RT-N66U router does this for me for every unit connected to it.  It uses an algorithm to computer an IP address from the unique MAC address of a given unit, so this becomes the permanent “fixed” IP address for that unit.  The manual says don’t have to set a fixed IP unless there is one in particular you need to use for some special unit or purpose.  My WDTV is always at IP  192.168.1.197.   But then, who cares!  This all probably helps when the router gets booted, as it doesn’t have to figure out where to put everything each time and eliminates error msgs from Windows that the IP address that was once good is now bad and must be reset!

chennai wrote:

How does one give the WD Live a fixed IP? 

First of all, you have to configure the network settings on the WD live media player. The network setup is categorized in to two ways: 1. Wired network setup and 2. Wireless network setup. You can done both of them either by manually or Automatic. Follow the steps for wired network setup:

1. Plug an Ethernet cable into the Ethernet connector on the media player. Plug the opposite end of the Ethernet cable directly into a LAN port on a router or network switch.

2.On the WD TV Live HD Media Player, navigate with the Arrow Buttons to the Settings menu and press the ENTER button.

1. Next navigate to the Network Settings menu and press ENTER. Select the Network setup option on the screen, and press ENTER again. Select the " Wired Option " and press enter on the remote.

Note: If you do not have a Wireless USB card attached to the WD TV Live HD Media Player the Wired and Wireless menu will not appear. If this occurs it is OK to skip this step.

1. Next you will need to select a setup configuration option. Select Automatic to have the device attempt to detect your network connection automatically. If you are able to automaticly configure your drive your drive should now be connected to your network.

2. If you are unable to set your network up automaticly you will need to manually enter your network configuration information. You can do this by selecting the " Manual Option".

3. You will be taken to a list of options to change for your connection. Navigate the Up/Down Arrows on your remote to select IP address, then press ENTER.

7.  Enter the IP address you would like to enter for the WD TV Live and than navigate to the Submit button and hit ENTER. Repeat the steps above to set the Subnet mask, Gateway, and DNS settings.

8.  Navigate to the Finish option and press ENTER. Your drive should now be connected to your network and are done with the setup. Otherwise if you are unable to connect, verify that the information entered is accurate and that your firewalls are properly configured.

Follow the below steps to setup wireless network configuration:

1. Connect a supported USB wireless card (sold separately) to either USB port on your WD TV Live HD Media Player.

2.  Navigate using the Arrow Buttons on your remote to select Network Settings from the main menu and press ENTER. Next select Wireless and again press ENTER.

1. Next you will need to set the SSID of your network. Select Auto Search to have the WD TV Live HD Media Player search for your SSID. Otherwise select Manually SSID and enter the name and security settings of your wireless network.

4.  If you selected Auto Search than you will need to select your network. Select the network you wish to connect to. If prompted, enter your wireless security information and select Submit.

1. Finally you will be taken to your network set-up options. From here you can set up your basic network settings. Select Automatic if your router has DHCP and you want to automaticly configure your WD TV Live HD Media Players IP settings. If it is able to it will make all the configuration changes and you are done. Otherwise select the Manual option and press ENTER on the remote.

2. You will be taken to a list of options to change for your connection. Navigate the Up/Down Arrows on your remote to select IP address, then press ENTER.

3. Enter the IP address you would like to enter for the WD TV Live and than navigate to the Submit button and hit ENTER. Repeat the steps above to set the Subnet mask, Gateway, and DNS settings.

4. Navigate to the Finish option and press ENTER. Your drive should now be connected to your network. If you are unable to connect verify that the information entered is accurate and that your firewalls are properly configured.

If you are getting trouble to find out your network ip address then visit Ip-details.com  .