First MP3 of the folder is always played in second place

When i start playing a mp3 which is not the first mp3 of a folder, the wdtv always continues by playing the first mp3 of the list.

Is it possible to configure this so that the playback continues the folder order ?

thanks

Unfortunately, that appears to be a bug.   The only workaround I’m aware of right now is to use PLAYLISTS instead. 

ok, thanks

I forgot to précise that if i start playing with the first mp3 of the folder, it plays it twice.

It’s logical :slight_smile:

Ah, there’s another way to do that.

Don’t play the FIRST TRACK, play the FOLDER instead.

In other words, when you highlight the folder, don’t press OK.   Press PLAY on the folder.

The tracks should play without repeating.

I assume you are not using the media library. I reported the same problem on this forum and reported it to WD support by email as well. I wasted a lot of time trying to diagnose this problem. It does seem to be a bug, which so far hasn’t been fixed.

As Tony said you can select the folder and press play, the files should play back in the correct sequence. If you aren’t using the Media Library try turning it on from the system menu. Once the library has been compiled you should find that you can select an individual file and the files should play back in the right sequence using the library.

You might also try reporting the problem to WD support so that they know that the problem still exists.

I’m not a fan of media library since it implies to tag carefully all mp3s.

But i’ll try to play the folder, i didn’t know this option

Thanks

Even if you aren’t planning to use the Media Library, I think it makes sense to Tag your audio files. Most media players use tags to organise media and will automatically add missing tags. If you rip your own media files the ripper can automatically add the tags when you rip the audio. If you have your files tagged, you don’t need to use the tags. But if the files aren’t tagged, you may find you get unexpected results when you try to play them back - like the wrong playback sequence with the Hub.

Just my opinion.

When my wife offered me an ipod, i had to tag my whole (and quite big) collection of mp3 since the ipod only works with a tag library.

It was a nightmare !

I almost did it and i used the media library but i was inconfotable with it (compilation albums were a mess, etc.).

I installed rockbox firmaware on my ipod so that i can use the folder navigation.

Yes, it’s old school but i’m happy with it :slight_smile:

I have the Media Library turned on but usually only use the “View by Folder” filter. This way I can navigate by folder and the files play back in the correct sequence. You can try copying a few audio folders to a new directory, switching on the Media Library, setting the Library to “view by Folder” and then navigating to the folder. If you only have a few folders it shouldn’t take long for the files to show up. If it doesn’t work you can delete the copied folders. If it does you have a work around for the bug. Maybe you will have to cleanup some of the tags, but if you are using the Folder view I don’t think you will have to re-tag everything. Hope this helps.

I’ve just updated to the latest 2.07.17 firmware. This problem still hasn’t been fixed. I reported it in April 2011 to WD support. They closed the incident on 6 May, 2011. There have three F/W updates in that time. None of them have fixed the problem. WD seems to be more interested in adding new features than fixing existing issues in the core functionality of their media player. Playing back audio files in the correct order seems to be less important than adding “fun games.” :cry:

badmem wrote:

I’ve just updated to the latest 2.07.17 firmware. This problem still hasn’t been fixed. I reported it in April 2011 to WD support. They closed the incident on 6 May, 2011. There have three F/W updates in that time. None of them have fixed the problem. WD seems to be more interested in adding new features than fixing existing issues in the core functionality of their media player. Playing back audio files in the correct order seems to be less important than adding “fun games.” :cry:

Even though your problem has not been solved I do note that over 30 items were down as ‘resolved’ in the latest firmware release notes. It therefore disingenuous to suggest that WD is only interested in adding ‘games’.

RichUK, sorry if I sound disingenuous - I suppose I’m just very disappointed.  I know WD is working on fixing bugs and yes there are a lot of fixes listed in the release notes and probably a lot of fixes that aren’t listed. I’m a realist, I know that WD has competition, so it needs to “check boxes” and play the features game with the other manufacturers. I also know that WDs biggest market is probably in North America, so those of us in other parts of the world will find that WD is spending a lot of effort on Netflix etc which is not available in many parts of the world. My situation is even worse as I have an extremely slow Internet connection (256 Kbps DSL), so even those online services that are available are not usable. I don’t have a problem with that, I realise that WD has to keep it’s largest group of customers happy.

In my case the most important thing that I want any media player to do is play back audio and video reliably. I think it’s pretty sad that something as basic as playing back audio files in the correct sequence is broken in a media player from a major company like WD. For the last six months every time there is a new firmware release, I update and find new features that are of no use to me, but that the bug is still there. So, yes I’m disappointed.

I’m actually pretty happy with the HUB, the remote control and GUI are a lot better than the WDTV Live I have. The file management is also better. With the help of the users on this forum, I have found work arounds for some of the things that don’t work. But only WD can fix this problem.

Rant over :wink:

I recognise the disappointment. WD has their own agenda as a company in moving forward this unit. Unfortuneatly it appears to be cast in concrete and does not take into account the many bugs that have been introduced. Somebody is sitting down and thinking up new things to add and allocating the things that need to be fixed a lower priority.