Firmware upgrade - now won't play mp4/avi?

Have also had the same problem with two devices (WDTV Live SMP with firmware 2.02.32, and WDTV Media Player with firmware 1.01.32).

Rolling back to version 2.01.86 worked with the SMP, so have two quick questions please…

1. Will rolling back to version 1.01.26 work with the latest WDTV Media Player? (specifically does it have iplayer, and allow local media (mkv on usb hdd) to work after using internet app such as iplayer)

(I ask because the box is not mine and do not want a brick; it seems that version was not available for long according to another thread so was wondering if it was problematic?? - http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Media-Player/Firmware-1-01-26-for-WD-TV-Gen-2-WDBPUF0000NBK-00/td-p/775365)

2. Is there any update on progress for firmware for the SMP and Media Player boxes? (ie to fix problem with local media not working after internet apps used)

I appreciate that Bill did say he would update on progress, but am guessing the problem may have been being worked on for maybe a couple of months now, so was hoping for an indication if a firmware update is likely, say in October, or after Christmas, etc.

Many thanks

Andrew