Firmware updater says "Please connect only one... " but that's all that IS connected!

I’m trying to update my My Book Home  Edition 1TB drive to firmware revision V1.034, and a Firmware Upgrade window appears stating “Please connect only one My Book Home device to USB interface.”  The only option available is the Exit button.  My problem is I only have the one My Book Home drive connected, so have no idea what to do next!

Any suggestions?

Jim

The firmware updater likely can’t find an updatable drive attached because your drive is already up to date.

That doesn’t seem logical because when I ran WD diagnotics on my drive it shows “firmware number 01.01A01” whereas the firmware update I’m attempting is 1.034.  Also why would it infer that I have more than one WD drive connected when in fact I do not?

G2Jim wrote:

Also why would it infer that I have more than one WD drive connected when in fact I do not?

Ask WD.  The same thing has been cropping up with USB3.0 drives… they ship with current firmware – there isn’t a newer version available.  But the updaters give the same message about unplugging all drives except the one you want to update.  In those cases, WD support confirms that their drive is up to date and there is no update to apply.

G2Jim wrote:

That doesn’t seem logical because when I ran WD diagnotics on my drive it shows “firmware number 01.01A01” whereas the firmware update I’m attempting is 1.034.

I’d just assumed your drive had either shipped up-to-date, or had been previously updated, since the 1.034 is almost 2 years old (Jan 2009).

If your drive is not functioning properly  and needs the 1.034 update to fix your issues, all I can suggest is contacting Tech Support.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Thanks.  I’m just trying to rule out any other possible cause of my other post regarding repeated logoff error window for WDBtnMgrUI.exe not responding.  Other than that the drive seems to be functioning ok most of the time (although sometimes acts kind of flakey).