Firmware update - security issue

I am totally unable to use my WD with remote access. Support say I should re-install the firmware. I have just read this amazing list of requirements on the WD website:

• All AntiVirus software MUST be disabled.
  • All Anti-Spyware software MUST be disabled.
  • ANY and ALL programs that would require drive access during the update MUST be disabled .
  • An internet connection is required to install the firmware update.

Really??? I must disable all my protection, and yet I must be connected to the internet???  Is this for real? Why should I have to expose myself to this kind of threat just to get a simple network device to do what it said it would when I paid good money for it.

Sorry - this has cost me valuable hours of my life so far and I get no nearer a solution.

I have contacted support - it takes an average of 5 days for anyone to respond and then they expect me to phone somewhere in the USA from the UK to get a resolution. 

If anyone from WD is reading this forum - please try to sort out your support issues. Only Apple are worse.

Hi, the requirements you have there are for USB hard drives, check the link below for the steps to update the firmware.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5735