Firmware update resets all setting?

This is unrelated to the security issueI found earlier.  But I noticed that when I perform a firmware upgrade all my settings are lots.  This means, remote access is silently re-enabled, ACL/Permissions on Shares are all silently reset to give everyone full control, etc.  Seems like if I have auto-update of the firmware enabled, my drive will become insecure everytime it’s updated?  Is there a way to ensure firmware update doesn’t reset the permissions?

There is a file in /etc/rc2.d/S98user-start.  This file will be executed everytime the system reboots.

You could edit this file to make the changes that you would like to keep across any updates or

reboots.

RAC

EdithKain wrote:

This is unrelated to the security issueI found earlier.  But I noticed that when I perform a firmware upgrade all my settings are lots.  This means, remote access is silently re-enabled, ACL/Permissions on Shares are all silently reset to give everyone full control, etc.  Seems like if I have auto-update of the firmware enabled, my drive will become insecure everytime it’s updated?  Is there a way to ensure firmware update doesn’t reset the permissions?

Thank you for the post … I’ve been waiting for quite a while to upgrade my perfectly working MC. The behind the scenes changes to security is concerning. You might want to also check your router … if you had disabled port forwarding it might be re-enabled.

I’d like to think WD would be more responsible than making changes to individual’s security settings without proper end user notification.

I’d have to go and check my log, but I recall that the last time I upgraded firmware, all users settings (barring Twonky) were retained. I think I recall being pleasantly surprised by this. I was upgrading from one v4 to the latest; I wonder if upgrades from v3 to v4 firmware are more disruptive.

Firmware upgrades certainly trash Twonky settings, so it wouldn’t surprise me if others were damaged; it’s pretty poor, and that’s why I have automatic upgrade disabled, and only upgrade manually when I can fix the problems that I know will be caused.

EdithKain wrote:

Don’t recall that happening (Dashboard settings being reset) when I upgraded the firmware on my WD My Cloud. What the firmware may do is reset any changes one makes through SSH or made through the Twonky user interface. It may also reset the Public Access setting to Off on the Public Share if one has used the Dashboard bug to change the Public Access setting on the Public Share folder.