Firmware Update - Mac - DO NOT DO IT

I have a Western Digital Passport Studio (P/N: WDBAAE5000ASL-00) running firmware 1.009 and I foolishly trusted Western Digital’s firmware updating tool (Mac version) not to brick my drive.

Unfortunately I should not have been so trusting (I should also have backed up my data but I was in a hurry and not as careful as I usually am with drives) because the firmware updating process (to v. 1.012)  failed mid-way through and now my drive is inaccesible under Mac (Disk Utility) and Windows (Windows reports an “unidentified device” being connected by USB).

Some posters in these forums report success when connecting the drive to a Windows machine but in my case I just get the “unidentified device” report and 3 low “bongs” from Windows indicating drivers cannot be found in order to use the device.

What is so galling to me is that there is no notification anywhere on the Support site or on the download page for this Mac firmware updating tool that there is any hint of an issue with this software, however, if you read these forums there is clearly an issue that WD are already aware of and appear to be hiding.

This is not the way to handle poor coding.

What is so galling to me is that there is no notification anywhere on the Support site or on the download page for this Mac firmware updating tool that there is any hint of an issue with this software, however, if you read these forums there is clearly an issue that WD are already aware of and appear to be hiding.

This is not the way to handle poor coding.

Hi there, try another firmware update on Windows, it tends to revive the drive 70% of the time when it fails on a mac. If it does not work then replace it.

On the other hand, I’m just going to copy and paste something exactly as it is from the drive firmware update EULA that you --MUST-- accept before the firmware update opens, if you don’t accept it then the firmware update just ENDS.

Section 6:

DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED TO YOU “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, WDT AND ITS LICENSORS DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS OR LACK OF VIRUSUS. WDT DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE LICENSED SOFTWARE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR BE ERROR FREE. THE ENTIRE RISK ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THE SOFTWARE REMAINS WITH YOU. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT ANY SOFTWARE, MATERIAL OR DATA DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE SOFTWARE IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER, SYSTEM OR NETWORK, INCLUDING ANY LOSS OR CORRUPTION OF DATA.

So… Is that not a notification that explains that it can go wrong? Doesn’t that section imply and notice that “the update risks all your data to be lost”?

I mean… Not to be blunt, but the license was for you to read it… And most of us here on the Community would tell you that you should always have a backup, no matter what the manufacturer is to promise or the general perception of the company, since unexpected things can and will happen

And the first sign is this one…

IMPORTANT: The following precautions should be taken before installing the firmware update.

• Before updating the firmware on your My Book or My Passport drive, make sure you have an additional copy of your important information.

Big-bold-red-upper-case letters… How come they go unnoticed so easily on the update section of the website?

Just way too many things can go wrong when you make a firmware update. I have lost hard drives, routers, video cards, sound cards, cameras, cellphones and game consoles after firmware updates even after following the recommendations from the manufacturer… It just happens. It’s just impossible to cover all sides.

My feelings on these firmware updates is unless you are having problems or it is a security issue don’t do it. If it ain’t broke don’t fixit.

Joe

1 Like

ISTM that some background task on your Mac has accessed the drive while it was being updated. The firmware is written to a serial flash memory chip, not to the actual drive itself. When the update is interrupted, the checksum of the data in the flash memory IC is invalidated. This means that the next time you power up your drive, its USB-SATA bridge chip (Initio INIC-1607E) sees the invalid checksum and enumerates itself as an “Initio Default Controller”. In this mode the bridge chip has prepared itself to accept a firmware download, just as is the case at manufacturing time when the flash is blank. That’s why applying the update a second time should work, provided that no other application interferes with the process.

Can you see an “Initio Default Controller” in Device Manager? How does the drive identify itself using Microsoft’s UVCView?

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_IDs/UVCView.x86.exe