Firmware Update FAILED - Universal Firmware Updater for Smartware Supported Drives (10/20/11)

The new release of Firmware Updater always fails to download update. It told me Net connection failed and asked me to check my internet connection, but my connection is fine.

I’ve tried to turn off firewall and anti-virus software, it still failed.

I have 2 WD My Essential Book, one is 1TB, the other is 2TB USB 3.0/2.0 compatible, both of them are failed to update (one by one to update, not update them in the same time, I’m sure there is only one book connected to computer). But I could update them just few days ago for the last Update version.

I am using Windows Vista Utilmate x64, usb 2.0 connection for 2 books.

Please help me to update the Firmware, thanks.

Personally if you are not having issues with the drive I wouldn’t update it. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it I don’t update mine.

Joe

Yes, I have some problem with my drive, posted here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-for-PC/WDBACW0020HBK-Die-after-hours-later/td-p/281044

Googol wrote:

The new release of Firmware Updater always fails to download update. It told me Net connection failed and asked me to check my internet connection, but my connection is fine.

I’ve tried to turn off firewall and anti-virus software, it still failed.

I have 2 WD My Essential Book, one is 1TB, the other is 2TB USB 3.0/2.0 compatible, both of them are failed to update (one by one to update, not update them in the same time, I’m sure there is only one book connected to computer). But I could update them just few days ago for the last Update version.

I am using Windows Vista Utilmate x64, usb 2.0 connection for 2 books.

Please help me to update the Firmware, thanks.

have you tried using another port, or another pc?

Nope.

then I recommend that you try that.

I can borrow friend’s computer to try that, but… I still have to use this device on my own computer, even if it succeeded to upgrade firmware.

How can I do next time when I need to Update?

once you update then you can still use it on your pc.  if it works, there is something blocking the update from happening.  did you turn off firewall, virus scanners, etc, before trying it in the first place?

It’s strange, after I updated the firmware with other iMAC successfully, It seems works on my PC, even Anti-Virus and firewall are working.

that’s all that matters then. 

Can you describe it better how you fixed it?
I’m having the same problems and trying to solve it from hours but unsuccessfully.

Tested on 3 different PC’s and all the same.

The firmware installer cannot detect my internet connection. 

I had connected it on an iMac

Aha… 

Well this is not solution for me then, since i can’t find such…

You used the same internet connection on the PC[where doesn’t work] and with this iMAC

or it was different one?

Same

Ok, i’ve tried on neighood 2 different computers with very different internet provider and different Windows OS.

And its doing exactly the same.

My conclusion is that WD has problems and the issue is there and not in my side.

Think either the installer is very bugged or the server which installer used to connect to are offline due some reason.

I’m waiting for WD support’s reply.