Firmware & Software Update, SmartWare/HDD not found afterwards

SmartWare and hard drive not found after updating firmware and software.

I know how frustrating this can be. It took me a while to figure it out and I’m sure there’s a post somewhere buried deep within but after digging through the forum and not finding anything I felt obligated to create one myself to help fellow WD users.

I have Windows XP Pro.  My PC could not find the hard drive and WD SmartWare after the updates. Even after restarting the computer. I thought I had lost ALL my files in my external hard drive.

Solution, unplug the WD My Book Essential power cord while Windows is running. Wait a few seconds and plug it back in. Presto! Within a couple of seconds Windows found everything!

Back to normal :slight_smile:

Hopes this helps.

Note I used the SmartWare to backup files in an old laptop. Now I used it as an external hard drive to store files (not as backup any more).

Hi there,

Actually, Western Digital recommends on their website to Power cycle (Disconnect and reconnect) the drive after updating its firmware. .

• Please remove the USB and power cable. Wait 10 seconds and then connect the power cable and USB cable.

Anyway, thanks.

Thread moved to WD Software and Accessories: WD Smartware.

I see. I guess I must of overlooked that step. I thought it read to disconnect USB. Thanks!