Firmware Release 04.05.00-320 (11/28/2017) Discussion

What do you mean by “the command you used”? Which command are you referring to?

So, this script is supposed to run the du command periodically even if no particular trigger event occurs, isn’t it? That’s nonsense… or at least an oversight from Western Digital…

Do you think something will break if I just keep the monitorio service disabled? (like My Cloud access, or just counters in the My Coud Web UI…)

I had killed the du command before stopping the service. The only thing I can state for sure is that those du commands have not been launched any more since I have stopped the service.

Meanwhile, I wrote the time command wrong, so I can’t say how long it took, I will try to fix it. What I can say is that the BackupCustom folder occupies 3,5 TiB (apparent size, there are many hard links in there, the whole disk is 3 TB).

It seems like I’m not able to run the time command in the background to track its output rather than the one of the command it starts, I tried to follow these:

but I get “syntax errors”. Anyway, I started the time command yesterday at around 19:30 and finished today at 14:30, so it took about 19 hours to run this command:

time find /shares/ -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d -not -name “.*” -print0 | xargs -0 -I {} getShareSize.sh {}

The command completed successfully, because I have the full output of the find command in a txt file.
The second command:

time find /shares/ -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type l -not -name “.*” -print0 | xargs -0 -I {} getShareSize.sh {}

took just some minutes, because I have a USB share with just 1,419,247 files in it.

So, I think the only way to fix my problem is just to disable monitorio service, I’ll see what side effects there will be… A better solution would be just to disable the scan (and keep the sleep/non-sleep monitor part), but that would require a deeper understanding on the monitorio.sh script and will be harder to maintain on future updates.

The trigger to cause the du to run is any write to the /dev/sda4 partition. If you want to
time the du command you don’t need to do the find. What the find is doing is trying to deternine what folders are in the /shares folder. You could just ls /shares Then do a time du -sbL /shares/.
I shlud point out that while the du command is being run from monitorio process. The monitorio process is sleeping. In your case it is sleeping for about 18 hours. Until the du process completes the monitorio process can’t continue.

I now see what your ps number mean. I’ve usually done a ps -eaf. You appear to have done a ps -aux.
I still would like to see a complete output of the ps -aux command. I’m not sure even if you had a billion files on the disk it would take 18 hours for the du command to complete. I beleive somethng else is going on. Most people complain about the system being slow when wdmcserverd is running. They most likely don’t have 15 million files. So please provide a ps output.