Firmware BUG Confirmed V1.04.10 MKV files network share

It took me over 4 hours of being on the phone to communicate this issue to the tech support rep (I reported in NOV but they didnt seem to care)  When I called back trying to report issue they told me it would cost 14 dollars to do so.  Crappy tech support.  FInally got to level 2 Reference # 010611-8196025 for this issue.   Too bad the rep didnt check the community.  Glad to hear I am not the only one who had this issue.  Any upgrade to 1.04.xxx give me that problem.  Very annoying studdering / chopping.  

I have the same problem with VOB files comming from the network. Started back in late November

By

TSQMAN

I can totally confirm that this bug exists with the last TWO firmware (so-called) upgrades.  Both have resuled in stuttering and freezing of ALL .mkv files, as well as the loss of audio.  It is apparent that the file will play incorrectly based upon the amount of time it takes to buffer and begin playing once it is selected; typically, this takes a second or two, but after the last two firmware upgrades, the buffering takes 5 - 8 seconds, the file begins playing, and within 45 seconds, it begins the freeze and stutter.  THe only “fix” to this issue is to hit the rewind button while the movie is playing and then immediately hit the play button thereafter.  THe movie will then play correctly for about 20 seconds.  So, I’m once again rolling back to the earlier firmware.  As an aside, I initially loved the wdtv live plus and recommended it to friends and collegues at my firm.  Since the introduction of the new apple tv, coupled with the obsecenly inadequate firmware updates of late, I’m beginning to serisously question my allegiance to western digital.  There is an implicit understaning between a consumer and the manufacturer of the networked product he or she is purchasing - that is that tha the manufacturer will continue to offer updates to the firmware and/or OS to provide enhanced functionality and reliability, among other thiings.  Western Digital seems to think that firmware “updates” are a way to troubleshoot potential problems with the firmware by relying on its customer to experience problems, report those problems, work with others to solve the problem, and then provide the solution to WD.  Being used as a guinea pig to test WD’s inadequate firmware updates wasn’t something I signed-up for when I purchased this product.  Unless WD spends the time and money correcting what has become an ongoing problem (poor firware updates that cause more problems than anything else), I see no reason why I shoudl continue supporting WD financially.  Instead, I will spend my money on products that provide a similar service (media player) without the shoddy firware and rollout process, even if switching products costs a bit more - I’d rather spend more to get more than stick with a product that, well,  could be great, but just isnt. 

I too have noticed some .mkv files play for a while then lock-up and freeze. I’ve downgraded the firmware to 1.03.49_V and this has fixed the problem when running these files. Hope this gets resolved on the next release.

hey cowboy, were you able to rollback to a version, i tried the 1.03X and it still is messed. i hope WD will roll out  a new firmware soon, fixing these issues instead of packing it with useless features…

I did a mass update with the FW after I finally did some inhouse networking.  I have noticed that my larger mkv files take forever to load.  I’m using a Netgear N300 with an attached 2TB USB drive so I know it’s not an issue with streaming from my PC.  ALL other files play just fine.

Drives me nuts as I purchased this thing to watch HD movies.  I also have a PBO that I’m going to test against,

As per the others I’m going to roll back my FW to post 1.04 and see what happens. 

Rolled back to 

Version 1.03.49_V and all works well with mkv via network share.  I would stay away from FW updates until WD gets it’s act in gear!

As for my PBO no problems at all.  The nice thing about the PBO is it detects the network speed before you play your file.

How do i roll back to 1.03.49_V i have it on a usb memory attached to the device, But it cant find anyting!

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800

You have to use the rollback firmware from the above link or edit the ver file to fool the WDTV into downgrading.

1 Like

Also got stuttering/freezing during to play mkv fullHD movies over network from WDSHARESPACE (latest fw)

Problem fixes after roll-back WDTV Live  to previous fw 1.03.49 

Waiting for stable unbuggy firmware release. 

Also there is a display bug when trying to switch audio track in multilanguage MKV files. The audio icon at  bar in top of the screen writes “No audio”,  but when pressing it - language switching normally.

I was experiencing the exact same stuttering issue with any MKV over like 6 GB.

I just rolled back to FW version 1.03.49_V

Now it keeps telling me that the network share cannot be accessed.

I reset the Live unit to factory defaults and cleared out the auto login info.

any suggestions?

Jdnidle, go back to the newest firmware and everything will be fine except mkv’s. To use MKV’s you will have to hook up a portable hard drive or thumbdrive with the MKV’s on it that you want to watch. trying to watch MKV’s over media shares or network shares wont work until we get a fix. Usb hubs seem to work ok so you can hook up as many portables as you want.

Timekeeper wrote:

Jdnidle, go back to the newest firmware and everything will be fine except mkv’s. To use MKV’s you will have to hook up a portable hard drive or thumbdrive with the MKV’s on it that you want to watch. trying to watch MKV’s over media shares or network shares wont work until we get a fix. Usb hubs seem to work ok so you can hook up as many portables as you want.

If on official firmware - 1 drive per WDTV USB socket, hubs work fine with 1 drive and wireless adapters/wireless keyboards ect.

Timekeeper, no.

Everything does work fine through a USB hard drive, but I don’t want to have to transfer files to that hard drive.

The WD Live is a media device. Everything worked fine until the latest firmware upgrades.

WD needs to fix this issue.

I will keep the firmware at the 1.03… until they get their stuff fixed.

I think it is ridiculous that they do not discover problems like this before releasing a new firmware.

Everything I use on this device is an MKV file. I am not transferring everything I have to the hard drive.

That defeats the purpose of having the WD hard wired to my network.

Agreed!! I bought this with the intent to watch HD movies and it is becoming a pain in the a$%.  I spent 2 days running cable in my house so I could stream movies to each TV from my 2 WDTV box.  Not impressed.  Just my rant.  DON’T upgrade the FW if you want to watch mkvs over the network.  I’m using to mkvmerge to see if I can get them to play better over the network.

jdnidle wrote:

Timekeeper, no.

Everything does work fine through a USB hard drive, but I don’t want to have to transfer files to that hard drive.

The WD Live is a media device. Everything worked fine until the latest firmware upgrades.

WD needs to fix this issue.

I will keep the firmware at the 1.03… until they get their stuff fixed.

I think it is ridiculous that they do not discover problems like this before releasing a new firmware.

Everything I use on this device is an MKV file. I am not transferring everything I have to the hard drive.

That defeats the purpose of having the WD hard wired to my network.

in

I uninstalled the entire Windows Live Essentials package and that fixed everything. I am now able to access my network shares without any issues.

And being on the 1.03… version of firmware fixed my MKV stuttering problem.

I was reading somewhere to uninstall the Windows Live ID Assisstant or login assistant or something to that effect.

I had to wipe out the entire Windows live essentials package for it to work as I did not have an option for the Windows live login assistant, but now, I am up and running with zero issues!

Jdnidle, Let us know in a few days how things are working. lt may have worked for you now but It may not be a long term fix.

where can I get the 1.03.49 please? thx for your help

greygoose wrote:

where can I get the 1.03.49 please? thx for your help

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800

thx  :smiley: