Firmware 4.05.00-315 Discussion

Hi everyone,

I just registered to this awesome community after following several discussions during the past years about firmware upgrades and the corresponding consequences to the sleep times or horrible NAS performance which made me suffer since I bought that device some years back. Since then I have been forced to become an eager learner and part time technician, as nothing in this device is working as intended. I’m sorry if I’m digging out this old thread but latest responds to newer threads in this forum gave me the impression, that this is the only thread supposed to give a comprehensive answer to the no sleep/random wake up issue in the latest firmware. I hope this assumption is correct, otherwise I would be grateful if you redirect me to the right conversation.

Having crawled through the full 192 posts in this thread I’m a bit overwhelmed due to my limited technical understanding of Linux and SSL. What I’m looking for, is the start up script helping my First Gen MyCloud to go into sleep mode and stay there until either I want to copy new files onto it or want to use the twonky streaming service (essentially using Twonky for watching videos and photos on my smart TV is the only use case for this device - I need no backup, cloud or remote access).

From what I understand of all your answers in this thread, there is no consensus on how to get there, correct?!? The methods suggested differ in whether to deactivate the cron job or not?! Or are there further differences (I don’t get what you say about the monitorio…)? While I’m not sure what the consequences of a deactivated cron job are, I understand that some users solved their sleep/wake up issue with killing the cron job, whereas some of you recommend no to do that but reach respectable sleep times without doing that.

Being aware that I might get different answers, it would really help me if you just repost or relink your final attempt scripts on the 1st gen myclouds and maybe outline what they do and how to apply them to my MyCloud: Would I have to copy a text file somewhere on the drive or do I have to enter some code lines in putty? Again, I’m sorry if this already had been answered and I’m just unable to filter this out of the various statement made in this thread.

Thanks to all of you for your great efforts to get this ■■■■■■ piece of firmware to work!

1 Like