Firmware 2.02.32 Not playing all mp4 files

NIKO_BH wrote:

Recently when new firmware came out I allowed auto update so it installed. After that tried to play one movie which is encoded with gspot says (X-Vid ISO Mpeg 4) while vlc player says MPEG 4 Video (Xvid).

above codec is not supported in 2.02.32 as there is no video but sound is ok .

Reverted back to 2.01.86 as I remember this one was working fine with above codec, and was right, it working video and sound ok .

There is NO auto update. Secondly, the new firmware plays Xvid just fine. Your encoding might be off spec though, so you should post Mediainfo’s text output here (Gspot is too old).

So i’ve downloaded the rollback zip file. Can someone walk me through how to put it on my WD Live port.

Sorry im a newbie, thanks!

scroll up (2 posts above yours)… and you will see my post, click on the red link under “rollback guide”

I think have the same problem.

Much Mp4 files won t “recognized” when you click on it to play on

Also problems with reading DVD menu

Please bear with me as I’m new to the forum.  My MP4s have stopped playing as well so I came here for help.  I’ve downloaded the official WD rollback firmware but cannot figure out how to install it on my unit.  I disabled my wireless feature so the unit will not try to the web for a firmware upgrade but at the same time it’s not searching my attached USB stick either.  Any help would be appreciated.

The is my step-by-step guide for firmware rollback

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/2-02-32-Firmware-no-longer-allows-content/m-p/781937#M32423

Hello,

I have seen a couple of you made already several experiences with the current WDTVLive Software version  Release 2.02.32 …

which seems to have several problems…as some I also have encountered that Release 2.02.32 doesn’t play all *.mp4 files
Some files are played/some NOT

As most and recommended is to roll-back to xyz… I have rolled back to: 2.01.86 and??? mp4 files are playing, BUT DTS failed

Usually in ver: 2.01.86 is DTS implemented …I do have several Movie files with different encoded sound settings…from AAC…AC3 to DTS …those movies which have incl. DTS are in version 2.01.86 only shown up with AAV sounds…

Therefore my question: does anybody made similar experiences? which is the best Rollback? is there any way to get release 2.01.86 working INCL: DTS?

thx, and have a nice time

How about you stop crossposting?

I’m not sure if this will work for everyones problems, but all I did was change the mp4 extension on any file that showed up as audio to m4v. Now they all play and I didn’t have to rollback the firmware.

1 Like

pkronenw wrote:

I’m not sure if this will work for everyones problems, but all I did was change the mp4 extension on any file that showed up as audio to m4v. Now they all play and I didn’t have to rollback the firmware.

Brilliant!

Now I have the confidence to upgrade to 2.02.32.

Thanks for the idea!

I have also tracked most of my problem files back to files I ripped with the “Copy Audio” option selected in DVDFab.

I’m doing some digging into this issue and it appears it has something to do with the atom structure of the video, namely the position of _ moov _ before _ mdat _ seems to be the culprit.

FFMpeg by default saves mdat before moov , which is why the WDTV will play a problem file after I remux it with FFMpeg.

What is  atom structure  in an MP4? Adobe has a great explaination here:  http://www.adobe.com/devnet/video/articles/mp4_movie_atom.html

To help me and WD determine the problem, it would be great if you guys could test your problem files by downloading this tiny 300kb app from here: http://mp4explorer.codeplex.com/

The app is safe; it is the first website Google points to when searching for “MP4 atom viewer”.

Install it, and point it at your problem MP4 file, them click the file name at the top left of the window.

It should (if my theory is correct) show the atom structure as:

ftyp

moov

mdat

Note that it will also have an atom (or possibly atoms) named  free , these will be in an arbitrary position and aren’t important in this instance.

A playable file should have the structure (once again with free atoms in a random position:

ftyp

mdat

moov

Guys, it would be great if you could download and run this app and post your problem files atom structure to confirm that this is the issue (I believe that it is).

My theory is that when  moov is first , this will not play , and when  mdat is first that it  will play.

If so, it would be a step in helping WD to fix this player. I know we shouldn’t have to, but it appears the best way to obtain a resolution in this instance.

Tony.

you must have them the wrong way round, all my mp4s play and have the structure:

Atom ftyp @ 0 of size: 24, ends @ 24
Atom moov @ 24 of size: 93274, ends @ 93298
Atom mdat @ 93298 of size: 24569738, ends @ 24663036
Atom free @ 24663036 of size: 59, ends @ 24663095

tonypuryer wrote:

If so, it would be a step in helping WD to fix this player. I know we shouldn’t have to, but it appears the best way to obtain a resolution in this instance.

Hate to say it, but WD fixed this in December 2014 with Firmware 1.02.17 for the WDTV Media Player … so they know / knew what the problem is / was.

• Resolved some .MP4 videos not playing

http://community.wd.com/t5/News-Announcements/New-Release-WD-TV-Media-Player-Firmware-Version-1-02-17-12-16-14/td-p/834434

(and i can confirm, since i have that player and firmware, the MP4 playback issue is resolved / fixed)

Why they haven’t released a new firmware for the WDTV Live Streaming Player to fix the MP4 playback and other issues ? 

I Don’t Know  :confounded:

(it’s the same hardware, for goodness sake … albeit, no Netflix)

barrygreybeard wrote:

you must have them the wrong way round, all my mp4s play and have the structure:

Atom ftyp @ 0 of size: 24, ends @ 24
Atom moov @ 24 of size: 93274, ends @ 93298
Atom mdat @ 93298 of size: 24569738, ends @ 24663036
Atom free @ 24663036 of size: 59, ends @ 24663095

Nope, it just means my theory is wrong.

Not that it matters, I have learned an important lesson today. 

I have spent all day trying to find a fix for this, to no avail. I only have one file that won’t play and I poured over it for hours, and when I found that FFMpeg fixed it by simply remuxing it, I thought that the atom position/order was it.

I am tired of trying to do WD’s work for them, like Joey Smyth said, this has been fixed in the new player (which I have too).

I have wasted an entire Sunday when I should have been spending time with my family.

Stuff you WD for wasting peoples time. 15 pages of threads for this ONE issue and no fix? Release a **bleep** patch. Is there some loss of honour in releasing too many firmwares in one year? Microsoft release software patches every few weeks. Android continuously update their OS.

Get with the program, there’s myriad media players breathing down your necks. 

I’m guessing they don’t care - every tv will have a media player in it in a year or so, and this product will be like the brick mobile phone - a curiousity.

tonypuryer wrote:  Microsoft release software patches every few weeks. Android continuously update their OS.

Probably because they have “In House” development teams

I’m pretty sure WD “Out Source” firmware development which leads to long development time / update schedules

As an example of “Out Source”… (the original WD Idea post is long gone, but heres a copy … read the Acknowledged part in this post)

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/Three-XML-questions/m-p/678373#M28183

I find it a bitter pill to swallow because my last media player was an Xbox running XBMC and we were pampered with nightly builds, if we wanted them!

Ah the xbox xbmc days.

That guy was awesome.  WD should hire him.  Can’t remember his name now.  But that was one guy and things were under control.  All users were pretty happy all the time.  

One guy.

“One guy.”

Yeah, one guy - that’s all it would take to fix these problems.  Shows how much importance is attached to this.

Having same issues as others have reported. Some .mp4’s won’t play and some files will play one day and not the next. Kind of intermitent.

Even the TV will play the files directly but I prefer having a separate box. WD had issues with the generation before. Shame these issues aren’t being resolved.