Firmware 2.02.32 Bugs (Lots of Problems need fixing ASAP)

This update is not able to play a whole bunch of MP4 files which was playing correctly in the previous version.  After reverting to the previous version, I was able to play them again.

I don’t know what information about the files that I should post here so that WD can fix this problem in some future release.

I’ve also noticed that when selecting a movie to watch from my videos on my external hard drive, the scrolling sometimes is responsively slow.

Some apps are still not working (i.e. Hotlist and also YouTube leanback which only reboots the WDTV).

I wonder how soon the firmware fix will be available for us to get?

WD TV is incompatible with the MyCloud NAS (both with current firmware as of Aug 20, 2014)…

Specifically, playlists will not work with any NAS drive that shows to be attached to mixed case “\Wdmycloud” (this includes the WDMC’s own internal drive).  OTOH, drives attached to upper case “\WDMYCLOUD” do work with playlists.  I have not found a way to rename the device description to upper case, nor why some drives have mixed case and some upper case names.

This strikes me as a gigantic bug with a simple fix: make playlists case insensitive.

EDIT:  This pertains to drives accessed as Windows shares.  Individual files play normally.  But if you create a .m3u playlist, any files in that playlist that reside on a drive attached to a mixed case \Wdmycloud device will neither appear nor play on the WD TV Streaming.

this update just freeze up the controller when i’m playing Netflix, the controller does not answer any command include turn off (power) and sometimes the subtitles just disappeared on the screen. 

Regular playback of movies (no playlists) over from WDMyCloud networks shares works just fine for me. Only no subtitle issues with PGS and SRT yet. What format do you see dropouts with? We had this back initially with some VobSubs.

Just to let you all know

I’ve been in contact with WD support and it’s now been passed to a higher level

I’ve passed on the link to this thread, so i hope they are now reading all the posts and looking at what needs fixing

Just hope they understand that it’s not just my problem with my box, and that we need fixes ASAP

It would be good if WD could have a pinned fast track part of the forum for customers to post directly to the devs

1 Like

I would have thought WD scanned these forums all the time for fault reports, formal or even massed whinging outbreaks!

I am intrigued as to differences between software build for the WD TV Live (Streaming) and new WD TV boxes. As both boxes seems to have indentical capabilities externally and now the same internall feature list (bar Netflix) I strongly suspect they are almost identical sw builds too. Also the near simultaneous release of new firmware for both of them  2 weeks back, supports this theory.

Therefore, I wonder if these same MP4 file play problems we have seen crop on on the WD TV boxes too? Of course, nobody would notice the new boxes starting to fail to play videos unless they had upgraded from a Live to a TV box and attempted to watch same movie on both that showed up the issue. With only the new box to hand, they would just put it down to a dodgy encoding and moved on - the boxes can’t play everthing out there!

But of course this is EXACTLTY the kind of regression testing WD should do!

And done before releasing this build, which does fix many of the issues of the previous one from December, which I gave up using long ago. Someone seems to have made a bit of bobo here. Adding lots of app updates and tarting up the UI with a new theme is all very well, but dont bust your core functionality along the way: namely playing the most popular video format out there!

ps: have u noticed the Live Streaming boxes are still mentioned on the WD Home / Media Players Overview page but if u click on WD TV Live it now dumps u back at a default page, as product 330 seems to have vanished from the underlying product database. The TV Live is becoming an ex product before our eyes. So I hope we continue to get product updates and this isn’t the last gasp of firmware updates, the one that broke it big time before they ran away and left us in the lurch!

Hi guys, I removed some post on this thread for not following the community guidelines related to being respectful. Keep it friendly.

WD Community Usage Guidelines

http://community.wd.com/t5/New-to-WD-Community/WD-Community-Usage-Guidelines/td-p/6

1 Like

AlcAm wrote:
But of course this is EXACTLTY the kind of regression testing WD should do!

As I mentioned in the dedicated MP4 thread, my few MP4s play fine on both devices. Since noone upped their none playing files, I guess there’s not much anyone can do.

I have the exact described netflix problem since the upgrade, after an episode and a half the subtitles disapear (Sometimes “Just” get out of sync) and the controller becomes useless, only way to get netflix (or the device) to work normaly again is by taking the electricity out of the device and reconnecting…

Techflaws wrote:

As I mentioned in the dedicated MP4 thread, my few MP4s play fine on both devices.

Yeah but the problem does exist and merely saying “my few files are fine” doesn’t add anything to the discusssion. Statistically the new build DOES have significant problems playing MP4 files and I think its been accepted as an issue by WD to look at it ASAP. I bet it occurs on the WD TV box as well - I did note last release note for WD TV box firmware mentioned something about MP4 and headers so someone broke something in this area recently! I smell a smoking gun…

Techflaws wrote:

Since noone upped their none playing files, I guess there’s not much anyone can do.

Errr I dont understand what u are trying to say here! I think u agreeing

The reason the MP4 files wont play is probably way beyond any user just looking at file headers of ones that dont work for them, WD must have a bank of sample files to test with and will find the problem where the code throws a fit and exits abnormally - it is not going thru the normal error path of saying “file format not supported” u may note. It is probably throwing an exception and jumps back to file display, or even toplevel.

For the user, we have the option of downgrading. I hated last version to this and downgraded to 1.16.?? back in Feb. I rather like most of the new build. But hope they fix the MP4 issue in a couple of weeks. Months and months of this and I will have to go back to 1.16 to preserve my sanity!

AlcAm wrote:

Techflaws wrote:

Since noone upped their none playing files, I guess there’s not much anyone can do.

Errr I dont understand what u are trying to say here! I think u agreeing

He’s saying until someone uploads an mp4 file they can’t play (preferably several) so that those of us who do not have problems playing MP4 files can test them out, then there is nothing anyone on these forums can do to offer assistance. We must wait for WD to release a firmware update, those who cant play MP4 files will have to rollback their firmware.

As of right now none of my media that once played no longer plays. I only use this device to play my downloaded media, so as of right now I have a black brick. Please fix this issue ASAP!!!

Go back to prior firmware is my advice.  Looking at history for this device a firmware release that fixes everything in a few weeks seems prety unlikely.

AlcAm wrote

Yeah but the problem does exist and merely saying “my few files are fine” doesn’t add anything to the discusssion.

Actually, I WAS adding to the discussion by mentioning the dedicated thread I hoped you guys would participate in from now on.

jnsnjohn wrote:

As of right now none of my media that once played no longer plays. I only use this device to play my downloaded media, so as of right now I have a black brick. Please fix this issue ASAP!!!

Now that is interesting. A 100% failure rate. I think WD might want u as a beta test site for a fix! :smileyvery-happy:

For the incovneience, I think u should charge them for this service!

Maybe look at reporting that in t’other thread mentioned… assuming WD still looking at it - as they know about the bug by now I would not be so sure they would continue to monitor the whinges to be honest.

Just received a mail from support saying it’s on lev 2 now, but that’s what i was told last week too :grumpycat:

The people who hit the hardware need to read all the posts and them should be passed on to they directly as its in wd best interests

Bug

only empty folders show up on the WDtv box when streaming from playon media server

even though they are full of files that would show up and play with the old firmware

dont recognize mac os X disk…

2.02.32 got me after coming home from a 5 week holiday. From useful little media player to near brick in one easy step. The next fairly easy step is to go back ot the previous version of the firmware and carry on as if nothing happened. I’ll just ignore the Firmware update icon until further notice. The update should be taken down, it’s so broken, you’ll lose all of your non-tech savy customers. Especially when they realise a new smart TV will do most of what the WD Live can do anyway.

The symptoms are of a fairly obvious memory leak. Surely not too hard to fix!

Stack1 wrote:

2.02.32 got me after coming home from a 5 week holiday

Well, someone had to press the “OK” button to start the Firmware Upgrade (it doesent do it “Automatically”)

Stack1 wrote:

2.02.32  I’ll just ignore the Firmware update icon until further notice

If you look in your “Settings” you’ll find that it can be disabled