Firmware 2.02.32 Bugs (Even More)

“No way to continuously play files (ie. next file starts playing upon previous file’s completion). Only choices under play mode are repeat one, repeat all, shuffle, and shuffle repeat.”

Have you tried pressing “Play” instead of “OK” to play the first file?

1 Like

“No way to continuously play files (ie. next file starts playing upon previous file’s completion). Only choices under play mode are repeat one, repeat all, shuffle, and shuffle repeat”

This is a real issue for me.  I only use the folder option and not the media library.  When I now select the first file from the folder I get a new page when playing that file which shows the associated album cover.  Really don’t want this, but the bad part is that it doesn’t go on to play the next file.  Really want it the way it was before where you select the first file from the folder and it plays them all sequentially.  Will have to go back to previous version.

Also be nice if Western Digital can ever fix issue with Neflix not working right when one choses subtitles.

1 Like

Burn,

Thanks for the suggestion on the play versus select.  This is good enough for me.  I now just use play and get the files in the folder played continuously.

Thanks!

i’ve posted this elsewhere but thought the bugs should go together, plus i missed a couple:

1. Lag in menu - really bad at one point but when i deleted a couple of recent file info’s it speeded up, but slowed down when i rescanned the files - so no information for now which is a pain.

2. Refuses point blank to play local media after using iplayer - important in the UK because its such a fantastic service.

3. Lost MP4’s into the music folder - audio only, had to remux them to mkv for them to show up again, there is something wrong with its recognition on the MP4’s it does see as it leaves the file extension on now in library view.

4. When moving files around it’s back to loosing 50 to 100 or so files when it compiles - something it used to do infrequently is nearly every time now.

5. First time ever had insufficient memory warning coming up and more than once.

6. when selecting album it starts playing but no track list just plays through the album and then the skip backwards button does not work!

Even worse i bricked one of my WDTV’s installing the firmware - total loss tried everything - i’m used to bugs in WD’s updates but this has to be the worst by far.

Guess what, iplayer finished so i have to reboot the wdtv now, if only it was a real doughnut spinning before me i’d be happy then…

only read fat 32 and ntfs?

exfat and mac os X disks nothing…

USB Storage File System Support

• NTFS
  • FAT/FAT32
  • HFS+    *

Page 7: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705062.pdf

* Media Library process failed:

• the USB device is not using the HFS+ file system
with Journaling enabled.

Page 205

Thought I’d add the problem I’ve experienced.

Cannot play any media on either of my 2 media servers - a Synology NAS & Mezzmo on my PC - or via Windows Shares.

Just get the spinning arrow.

Reverted back to previous version and it all works again.

1 Like

Here’s a new one.  I actually had a video (an MP4) playing, then the video suddenly dropped back to the video list (without me touching anything), while the audio continued to play in the background!

Never had that happen with my WD before, ever, under any firmware.

WileyCoyote wrote:

Here’s a new one.

New?

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/Firmware-2-02-32-Not-playing-all-mp4-files/m-p/778481#U778481

Techflaws wrote:

WileyCoyote wrote:

Here’s a new one.

New?

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/Firmware-2-02-32-Not-playing-all-mp4-files/m-p/778481#U778481

New for me, okay?  You knew what I meant.

Of course I do. Searching before posting helps, though.

WD has seriouslly gone down hill over the years i use to always like them and recommend their hardware now i can not think of a reason to do it anymore.

I have retuned hard drives under warranty because they just seem to start dying, ive evn had to replace one because it was dying just out of warranty and grab the sotware off it before its too late. Ive even had the ‘‘joy’’ of sending two NAS units back under warranty because well, yes you guessed it they were dying i then had to buy a replacement plug because it was an american plug can they not tell im in the UK via my address thatg says United Kingdom?

Now it seems like they are too lazy to check a firmware update or even a fix in a decent time, its upto the ‘‘user’’ to visit the forums and look into downgrading because of their incompetence or buy a new unit because some people will think age has kicked in and its well dying.

Yep, will not recommend another WD product to anyone infact i will tell them to look at alternatives, speaking of which i best start looking at another NAS before this one does the same as the other two.

Good luck with that.

Techflaws wrote:

Of course I do. Searching before posting helps, though.

It’s funny, you being so condecending about things and trying to embarass me worked to such an extent I didn’t even bother clicking on that link and looking what was discussed on the other end of it until now.  It doesn’t even lead to the bug you’re claiming it does. It jumps to a post that says “Just upgraded to 2.02.32 and found that many of my mp4 movies wouldn’t play anymore!!!” and not one that mentions files PLAYING but then the video dropping back to the index, with the audio continuing.

Trying to embarrass you? Yeah, I think I’m not gonna bother to go on with you. Have fun finding the right thread.

Hi guys, please try to keep it friendly. @WileyCoyote, we have passed your case to tech support, have you checked your private messages? 

1 Like

jubei04 wrote:

@WileyCoyote, we have passed your case to tech support, have you checked your private messages? 

Thanks, I didn’t even know we had PMs on this board! (the board design here is a bit weird)  Guess I know now.  :-)

I’m not really sure what they can do for me other than possibly talk me through a firmware rollback, but if I know I have a good open block of time for a callback I’ll contact and talk with them for sure.  The interface slowness seems to go back to a memory leak (because rebooting the unit ususally fixes it), and the issues like files where the video drops but the audio continues seem to be widespread, at least if the reaction I got after posting about it meant that I should have realized that (I do have to start paying attention though and see if I can figure out if the ones it happens with for me are all using a common type of encoding).

Okay, I’m fairly certain now one of the main things that cause the unit to slow down to a crawl is using the YouTube app (the main one, the Leanback version).  At the very least I’ve noticed for sure the unit crawls after you play some videos in that and then exit to the main interface afterwards.

If this has been noted by someone else, I’m sure I’ll get lectured on not having searched for that, of course.  :lol: I know that people have said they have problems with the app in this firmware overall, but the actual App itself works fine–it’s just what the WD acts like afterwords that’s nightmarish (until you restart the unit–and its got to be a total power off, not just using the off button on the remote).  Again, to me, this seems like a memory leak. The App is grabbing all of those resources and not letting them go.  

Yes the app leakes memory as it is used. The more u use it, the less remains avilable for the system when u exit - it doesnt clean up like a a proper Operating System can (Windows, Android, Lynux etc). This can cause slowdown in the UI, slow to start playing videos if possible at all and maybe provoking a warning dialog about low memory to appear.

To cure it u just need to cold boot the box: power it down by doing a long power key press on remote or from options/system/restart so it does a cold start next time. Or more savegly pulling plug on it, but its always better to do it via system than just yanking power cord out - that can lead to options beiong corrupted if u very unlucky.

AlcAm wrote:

Yes the app leakes memory as it is used. The more u use it, the less remains avilable for the system when u exit - it doesnt clean up like a a proper Operating System can (Windows, Android, Lynux etc). This can cause slowdown in the UI, slow to start playing videos if possible at all and maybe provoking a warning dialog about low memory to appear.

To cure it u just need to cold boot the box: power it down by doing a long power key press on remote or from options/system/restart so it does a cold start next time. Or more savegly pulling plug on it, but its always better to do it via system than just yanking power cord out - that can lead to options beiong corrupted if u very unlucky.

Yeah, the more I poke around the more I see this.  Simply going in the app and leaving won’t immediately kill the system.  Playing a video won’t either.  But play a LONGER video, or even worse use the Link function to remotely play from your computer, and the system response gets worse and worse.

I imagine this must be known to WD by now, but if the app is actually being made by Google (it must be–because I know the version of Leanback on XBox, for example, has the identical looking interface), then I guess there’s not much they can do other than tell Google to fix it (which probably won’t happen if they consider the WD userbase fairly small).  

The one other thing I’ve pegged onto a bit more is that issue where some files drop out the video but keep playing the audio.  I think it may only be with MKV files (but I have to pay better attention and see if that bears out).  Since it didn’t happen with the same exact files (not just the type, but the actual files) with earlier firmwares, I don’t think the blame is as simple as saying “they must be corrupt files” though. Clearly how the WD is handling decoding them has changed.