Firmware 1.05.21 - File copy fails due to long .wdmc paths

find /mnt/HD/HD_a2 -name .wdmc -exec rm -rf {} ;

If this command deletes files, then it should have been mentioned, I now lost all my files, extremely pissed.

I ran this command; killall wdmcserverd and got the same error, no process killed , this is becoming a culdesac.
+++
If you run a shell command, you better understand what it does. So if your files are truly gone, I can tell you that it would not have been from issuing the command exactly as they are given. but it can occur if there were other mistakes made.
++

That is not a valid answer; because most commands will not execute and besides, if the command I posted above gave a warning, then I wouldn’t have run the command, correct !

CookieMonster7 wrote:

If this command deletes files, then it should have been mentioned, I now lost all my files, extremely pissed.

“…it should have been mentioned”?? Seriously?? You were looking to delete the .wdmc folder…and you are surprised that files (inside .wdmc folder) are deleted?? Wow!

As I have repeatedly tried to get through to you…the command, if entered correctly as I had mentioned, will ONLY remove files and subdirectories inside .wdmc folders AND the .wdmc folder, but not your data files. And you talk about “should have been mentioned” - well, you should have looked up what a command does before you run things.

CookieMonster7 wrote:

+++
If you run a shell command, you better understand what it does. So if your files are truly gone, I can tell you that it would not have been from issuing the command exactly as they are given. but it can occur if there were other mistakes made.
++

That is not a valid answer; because most commands will not execute and besides, if the command I posted above gave a warning, then I wouldn’t have run the command, correct !

It was your responsibility to lookup what the command does - and IT DOES ONLY WHAT I said it does (and I tested it myself and posted screenshots of my test in my previous reply). If you expected to be warned, etc. then perhaps this will serve as a lesson to not to run commands in shell if you do not understand what they do.

CookieMonster7 wrote:

I ran this command; killall wdmcserverd and got the same error, no process killed , this is becoming a culdesac.

UNTIL NOW you weren’t even running it the way I had asked you. And as I explained before, this command if it gives the error you mentioned, then it indicates the process is not running. Just move on and you don’t have to worry about it.

“…it should have been mentioned”?? Seriously?? You were looking to delete the .wdmc folder…and you are surprised that files (inside .wdmc folder) are deleted?? Wow!

As I have repeatedly tried to get through to you…the command, if entered correctly as I had mentioned, will ONLY remove files and subdirectories inside .wdmc folders AND the .wdmc folder, but not your data files. And you talk about “should have been mentioned” - well, you should have looked up what a command does before you run things.

Yes seriously, how else would I have deleted the .wdmc files ?

Did you not have you files nested within the following file structure before running this command; find /mnt/HD/HD_a2 -name .wdmc -exec rm -rf {} ;

.wdmc\transcoded\4555tt6y43er444 (or something equivulant) ?

CookieMonster7 wrote:

Did you not have you files nested within the following file structure before running this command; find /mnt/HD/HD_a2 -name .wdmc -exec rm -rf {} ;

.wdmc\transcoded\4555tt6y43er444 (or something equivulant) ?

Yes, there were a few files inside the .wdmc folders…similar to the ones you asked about. BUT they are NOT YOUR data files. Everything inside .wdmc folders are auto-generated by EX2.  NONE of them were your own data files. Perhaps you need to learn to distinguish between system-generated files and your own data files. Sigh.

And so you wanted to get rid of the .wdmc folders but not the auto-generated files inside the .wdmc folders?? I have no idea how you can retain files inside a folder but delete the enclosing folder. Maybe that’s something you know how to do, but I don’t.

Sometimes I question my own judgment of trying to help out certain folks in this forum. I am done answering your questions.

Cybernut1 wrote:

Sometimes I question my own judgment of trying to help out certain folks in this forum. I am done answering your questions.

EXACTLY why I have become a rare contributer to these forums.  Many of the people who are posting here these days expect to be spoon fed a perfect solution without attempting to learn even a little bit about the underlying OS that they are trying to manipulate.  Google is your friend people!  Use it before issueing commands that you havent the slightest idea what they are really doing.

1 Like

Vertech1 wrote:

Cybernut1 wrote:

EXACTLY why I have become a rare contributer to these forums.  Many of the people who are posting here these days expect to be spoon fed a perfect solution without attempting to learn even a little bit about the underlying OS that they are trying to manipulate.  Google is your friend people!  Use it before issueing commands that you havent the slightest idea what they are really doing.

Couldn’t agree with you more, Vertech1. Why I too have reduced my forum participation this year…also because the folks I help often don’t even bother saying thanks or giving a kudo. And when I occasionally make the mistake of trying to help out, people still seem to only want spoon-fed solutions (like the recent ftp post we both helped out in…where in my very first reply on the thread I had posted EVERYTHING that the person needed).

Yes, there were a few files inside the .wdmc folders…similar to the ones you asked about. BUT they are NOT YOUR data files.

================================================================================

You ran the same command as I, yet you did not loose data files, and I lost data files, but you precieve that I did not lose data files, does that sound right to you ?

This is a warning to everyone. If you run the following SSH command using a program like PuTTy;

And you have files inside a .wdmc folder, contrary to what you’ve read in this thread by other users; your files will be deleted permenately. I know what the flags in the command mean and I can say, what I said with confidence you will loose your files as I have.

What you say is true.

rm -r is a recursive delete, thus deleting the entire folder.

This is however not the issue here.

If you carefully read the prevous posts to this thread,

for instance the following:

IF Cloud Access is turned ON,

AND whenever it is changed from OFF to ON,

folders that contain *.jpg files and possibly other “media” files

will have .wdmc folders added to them.

in my post from 10-30-2014,

then you may realize that .wdmc folders are created in each folder

where you have added your own media files.

If you put your own files in the .wdmc folders then you have only yourself to blame.

The .wdmc folder is NOT yours.

For some incomprehensible reason, at least to me,

WD seems to regard the creation of the  -wdmc folders and their content, as a feature.

For me this is a serious bug.

A few weeks back I replaced the EX2 with a Synology DS713+.

Performance is now much better,

and without annoying automatic file system corruption, such as unwanted .wdmc folders or similar issues.

Anders J

AndersJ wrote:

If you put your own files in the .wdmc folders then you have only yourself to blame.

Precisely. Thanks, AndersJ!

Who adds their own files to a .wdmc folder??!!  This is the best example yet of pure ignorance. 

Not only have we led you to the water, we even filled your glass, but you still refuse to drink!

Vertech1 wrote:

Who adds their own files to a .wdmc folder??!!  This is the best example yet of pure ignorance. 

Not only have we led you to the water, we even filled your glass, but you still refuse to drink!

:smiley: I have refrained from saying anything much…I’ll let all the others reading this be the judge of that :smiley:

Cybernut1 wrote:

:smiley: I have refrained from saying anything much…I’ll let all the others reading this be the judge of that :smiley:

I shouldnt have commented, but I just couldnt help myself…

HaHaHa ; :laughing:

Who said I added files to a .wdmc folder, why would I do such a thing, it was done without my concent !

CookieMonster7 wrote:

Who said I added files to a .wdmc folder

YOU did.

YOU  have said your own data files (not system-generated files) have been deleted by running that command - and YOU have gone on to warn others not to run that command for the risk of losing their own data files. So you are the only person I know who copied their data files into the auto-generated .wdmc folders. And you are the only person I know who ran a shell command without looking up what it does…and then got upset over the result.

Next time look up what a command does in shell before you run it. And certainly do not copy your data into system generated folders…those folders are NOT meant for to store your data files…those are for system-generated files.

Good luck finding help on these boards next time you need it.

You are wrong Cybernut - I never said I added files to the .wdmc folder you are putting words in my mouth.

This is however not the issue here.

If you carefully read the prevous posts to this thread,

for instance the following:

IF Cloud Access is turned ON,

AND whenever it is changed from OFF to ON,

folders that contain *.jpg files and possibly other “media” files

will have .wdmc folders added to them.

in my post from 10-30-2014,

----------------------------------------------

That is what happened, automatically, I could have swore I said “without my concent” oh wait, I did, how ironic, what does this say;

Who said I added files to a .wdmc folder, why would I do such a thing, it was done without my concent !

I knew what the command does, it’s pretty straight forward, you don’t have an edge with regards to knowing a simple command, just to let you know !

You don’t have any reasoning as to why; if it didn’t happen to you, my media files, specifically JPEG files are gone, the only answer you give is, learn what commands do; or I copied the files to those folders intentionally.  They are gone and you haven’t given an answer, even a simple, you were unaware, and you were partially wrong answer would suffice. 

I bought this device for the same reason as everyone else and if a command fails or people could loose their data, they have a right to know, the command is not supported by Western Digital so it’s not as if customers can call WD for support on this issue, they either live with it; or, yes; risk loosing their data unless it’s backed up, now that they are aware of the consequences, and have every right to be; unless it can be retrieved which I doubt.

Please don’t threaten that you control the support pipe and I should be run by fear.

CookieMonster7 wrote:

2 days later…

CookieMonster7 wrote:

I knew what the command does, it’s pretty straight forward, you don’t have an edge with regards to knowing a simple command, just to let you know ! 

Sure you knew :smiley:

CookieMonster7 wrote:

Cybernut1 wrote:
Yes, all .wdmc folders have been deleted, which is what you wanted. Your data folders and your data inside them are untouched however.

Are you sure, because I don’t see the files ?

• *> * * *
      CookieMonster7 wrote:

My data files are gone , the folder to which I had a few hundred megabytes now says 0 bytes

After your above comments, I explained to you that YOUR data files were different from the system’s AUTO-GENERATED files that were deleted

Cybernut1 wrote:

Yes, there were a few files inside the .wdmc folders…similar to the ones you asked about. BUT they are NOT YOUR data files. Everything inside .wdmc folders are auto-generated by EX2.  NONE of them were your own data files. Perhaps you need to learn to distinguish between system-generated files and your own data files. Sigh.

But you insisted that YOUR data files were indeed deleted.

2 days later, others reading your replies interpreted that the only way YOUR data files could be deleted from a folder that was meant ONLY for SYSTEM-GENERATED files was if you had put YOUR data files in there yourself…

AndersJ wrote:

…but NOW you are suddenly saying you never said that you put your OWN data files there. You sure are consistently inconsistent :smiley:

In any event, only you know what your gripe is…most of those reading this cannot seem to understand it and frankly at this point don’t care what it is. It seems, you are actually griping about SYSTEM-GENERATED files while declaring all this time that YOUR data files have been deleted…SYSTEM-GENERATED files that can be REGENERATED anytime. Sigh, the level of ignorance is just staggering.

And this is a user-to-user support site…but surely others on this board, who know EX2’s internal workings well, may have second thoughts about answering your future questions. I was not implying anything else or any threat to you.