Firmware 1.05.04_V stretching video on 4:3 TV

I have the same issue since upgrading to the new firmware.

Same widescreen bug (the Live Plus HD)

I think it’s not a problem related to 4:3 TV but using composite or the component output instead of HDMI.

My TV is a 16:9 Panasonic TX-32PD50D connected via component (576p 50Hz) and shows the same symptom since the update to 1.05.04. All my video material are DVDs in ISO image format read from a Synology NAS. Although the TV is a 16:9 CRT, the 16:9 video material will be shown with black bars on top and bottom.

2 workarounds:

1)  Before showing the video do settings → Audio/Video → toggle Apsect Ratio from Widescreen to Normal and back from Normal to Widescreen

1. In the video list change to preview mode → right key and click enter … but this works only for me since my DVD ISO do not have any menues which will not be shown with this playback start.

Are they in real using the firmware they’re developping?

JimKnopF, you are talking about a different issue. The issue being discussed in this thread is that on a 4:3 TV, widescreen material is being stretched vertically, resulting in tall skinny images.

If the videos that you are viewing on your widescreen TV have an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 (which is very common), then it would be normal to have black bars on the top and bottom of the widescreen TV.

Same issue!!! With a Sony trinitron 4:3 TV after this update videos are allways stretched vertically!

I use RCA connectors.

Helppppppppp!!! :slight_smile:

Having the same problem here Wd live tv plus with new firmware picture all stretched and looks real bad using the widescreen and back to normal clears the problem but getting tired of that already :mansad:

might have to back date firmware running on older CRT TV and like everyelse worked fine before to update 

WD please fix this it a GREAT little box and does a great job but this needs to be fixed 

also using  RCA connectors

Added to post 5/22/11

I have also noticed that after you do the wide screen and back to normal  work around  you can hit options and then zoom out one or two times to get your full picture and then its back to normal  after playing with it a bit more

also some have posted thier’s have stayed in the correct mode after shut down not the case with mine  have to use the work around everytime i turn it on

if i leave mine on it will not let my Nas drives go to sleep

running 2 TB white light 4TB white light and a 1TB USB EXT My book  all WD  

this seems to be a mayor problem, besides of that there are more bugs in this release. I see no other solution than to do the rollback. Do you have any information about, when the next firmware is planned to be released?

Rollback is creating another annoying “problem”:Evrey startup it jumps to “new firmware found” 

Where the **bleep** ist the button to say: “Do not notify me about that firmware again!” or  maybee a function to switch the firmware notofication on and off generally?

ttronics, WD does not release information about when the next firmware will be released, and they also usually do not tell us what fixes/features will be included in the next release.

When you roll back the firmware, you will continue to get the annoying “new firmware found” message. The only thing you can do is either leave your device on all the time, or, if your router allows it, you can block the WD upgrade web site so that you will not see that message. If you search this forum there are posts describing how to do this.

I’m getting the same thing with firmware 1.05.04_B It say’s it uptodate. Is _B or _V the newest firmware.

What is the last one before so I know which to revert to.

EDIT

Noticed this thread is about the WD Live  I have the plus so get the V vs B. So your not alone.

computer2slow, There are 2 versions of the firmware. The _V versions are for the Live. The _B versions are for the Live Plus. If you now have 1.05.04_B firmware, then you have a Live Plus and 1.05.04_B is the newest released firmware. That is also the version that has the stretching problem with 4:3 TVs that is being discussed in this thread.

The previous version is 1.04.31_B. You can try reverting back to that version. That version did not have the stretching problem.

Firmware Rollback

Same problem here on a CRT connected via RCA cables.

Video is stretched to the top and bottom of screen instead of letterboxed.

I’m having the same problem.  Quite annoying, i may start using another  device to play my videos because of this.  

Don’t understand what is taking western digital so long to issue a new firmware, they obviously botched the last update.  

I have this issue as well on this new firmware !!!

Need to cycle the aspect ratio setting to WIDESCREEN then back to NORMAL.

Im just going to roll back the firmware for the time being.

All stretching problems were fixed after resetting the WDTV to factory defaults. You need to stick a pin in the hole on the side, where the USBs are. I use a 4:3 tv and component.

And now just turn off wd from ac outlet and you will see that it doesn’t help.

Bug will be here again.

Add me to the list of users who are having this problem.

Yes me too. I wonder how long this will take to fix? I just watched an entire series in the wrong ratio because I thought there was a problem with the encoding. Thanks for the work around though!

This has been fixed in firmware in testing.

In this testing firmware fixed problem with option menu and subtitles?

troubles with positioning of info and wrong displaying at first call:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/Some-interface-bugs/td-p/172516 

And thanks for the info. It’s great to hear that somethiing is moving :) 

Just to throw my two cents into the mix… I am suffering from the scaling (ratio) problem where after a power recycle it reverts to full screen instead of wide screen.

I am also using the composite out on both my sets ( I still have 2 36" tubes ) and am using  the WD Live Media Player running Firmware 1.05.04_V downstairs and the WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player using Firmware 1.05.04_B upstairs, same problem with both. Reverted both back to 1.04.31_V & 1.04.31B and patiently awaiting the next release…

:angry: