Firewall taking hits from WDTV Live

mkelley wrote:

Well, as I said, if it’s true that blocking this service doesn’t stop Netflix from operating (which I would think Tony would know since it sounds like he’s done so – I haven’t yet tried my Netflix since I stopped that URL) then why even bother doing it?   That’s really the thing I want WD to answer (I could care less about conspiracies – some are undoubtably true but the ones that are are most likely ones we’ll never know about anyway).

Besides – I’m pretty sure Rich and Tony are WD agents who will terminate anyone who finds out the truth.

I believe the OP has a live (no netflix) so I don’t believe it is for that. I think it is for pandora. As I said, in the UK it says that my IP address indicates that I am not in the USA and therefore I cannot use it. I believe that either on startup or when acessing pandora the WDTV requests my location and uses that to allow access or not.

When accessing the pandora website I get the same thing. It takes me directly to a restricted screen which is based on my IP address (which it quotes)

“We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative. We believe that you are in  United Kingdom  (your IP address appears to be XX .XX.XX.XXX ).”

I don’t believe that Live365 has any restrictions.

Later:

Saying all that. I note that under the Netflix Terms of use.

"Geographic Limitation: You may not view a movie through the instant watching functionality anywhere other than within the 50 United States and the District of Columbia. Due to licensing restrictions, you may not instantly watch movies outside of this area, including the U.S. territories, and Netflix may use technologies to verify your compliance."

Personally I love Conspiracy Theories but sometimes you just have to use some common sense. I may believe that there were shooters on the grassy knoll but when it comes down to it does it really matter, JFK is still dead.

I haven’t actually tried to access any of those services since blocking those in my firewall.  Anyone else tried?

Tony I actually just checked and Netflix comes up and then states the title you’re attempting to watch cannot be viewed at this time.

Rich I do appreciate you taking the time to illustrate my point, I choose to post my life on the web, but that’s the key, choice and more importantly I also appreciate you informing me that my solarguard data was not posting, that should be resolved.

Cheers!

Miguel

lombana wrote:

Tony I actually just checked and Netflix comes up and then states the title you’re attempting to watch cannot be viewed at this time.

Rich I do appreciate you taking the time to illustrate my point, I choose to post my life on the web, but that’s the key, choice and more importantly I also appreciate you informing me that my solarguard data was not posting, that should be resolved.

Cheers!

Miguel

Can we assume then that you have a live plus. If you remove the blocking can you now access Netflix?

I’m told that the firmware does not contact that URL. The services that restrict access based on location (Netflix, Pandora) do it on their end.

Is anyone else actually seeing attempts to access this site in their firewall logs, or is this only being reported by one person? If there are several reports of this, I might need to do more digging.

Rich I would love to say yes however for some reason that I cannot determine Netflix is still blocked despite the rule being down, I have to run to a meeting and my testing will have to be delayed for several hours but once I return I’ll dig a little deeper. And yes it is a correct assumption that I have a live plus.

Guy thanks for continuing to review this however the IP address of my #2 Live is pinging that site as illustrated in my logs, as I said in my last post I have to run but I look forward to seeing where this all goes.

My Plus works fine with Netflix despite having blocked those sites (just to add to the confusion).

Guy_K wrote:

I’m told that the firmware does not contact that URL. The services that restrict access based on location (Netflix, Pandora) do it on their end.

Is anyone else actually seeing attempts to access this site in their firewall logs, or is this only being reported by one person? If there are several reports of this, I might need to do more digging.

OMG The cover up begins. (‘plausible denial’ comes to mind :wink:)

I blocked access to Geobytes on my router and this is from the router log after switching on the WDTV Live:

Tue, 2010-07-20 17:22:26 - TCP Packet - Source:192.168.0.4,57367 Destination:web.geobytes.com,80 - [BLOCK]

The WDTV is definitely making an attempt to contact geobytes on start-up (for some reason). So in answer to your question there are currently 2 people experiencing this. Most people would be unaware this is happening unless they look at their router logs and even then nothing happens unless you actually block geobytes from within the router.

I believe that every-bodies WDTV LIve or Live Plus is contacting geobytes.

lombana wrote:

Rich I would love to say yes however for some reason that I cannot determine Netflix is still blocked despite the rule being down, I have to run to a meeting and my testing will have to be delayed for several hours but once I return I’ll dig a little deeper. And yes it is a correct assumption that I have a live plus.

Sorry I should have read your signature line where it says you have a plus!! Doh

Sorry for taking so long to respond, I think that someone else confirmed this already but Netflix does work with Geobytes blocked. I had another module in Untangle turned on that was blocking and once I did some ‘Googling’ and discovered other Untangle users had the same problem with Netflix, a simple click fixed the issue. 

So I’m still running blocked for Geobytes and Netflix as well as Pandora are both working nicely.

Miguel 

richUK wrote:

Guy_K wrote:

OMG The cover up begins. (‘plausible denial’ comes to mind :wink:)

I blocked access to Geobytes on my router and this is from the router log after switching on the WDTV Live:

Tue, 2010-07-20 17:22:26 - TCP Packet - Source:192.168.0.4,57367 Destination:web.geobytes.com,80 - [BLOCK]

The WDTV is definitely making an attempt to contact geobytes on start-up (for some reason). So in answer to your question there are currently 2 people experiencing this. Most people would be unaware this is happening unless they look at their router logs and even then nothing happens unless you actually block geobytes from within the router.

I believe that every-bodies WDTV LIve or Live Plus is contacting geobytes.

Thanks for the confirmation. I’ll see what I can find out.

I’ve got an answer for you guys. Geobytes.com is being used to check the country you’re in for the device registration process. This registration is optional - if you don’t register, the country information is not used for anything. Sorry it took so long to figure this out.

Guy_K wrote:

I’ve got an answer for you guys. Geobytes.com is being used to check the country you’re in for the device registration process. This registration is optional - if you don’t register, the country information is not used for anything. Sorry it took so long to figure this out.

It would have been better if the unit requested this info when you registered instead of every time you start up.

Guy thanks for looking into this… so now a suggestion. Since I registered my unit online, how about a re-write of the software where you enter in your registration code if you registered online and also if it can’t hit the server in 5 attempts it gives up rather than trying all day until it may get an ack.

Just a suggestion.

Miguel