Finally I found you - user.log shows exit standby

On one hand I love having a brand new linux computer and in the other hand trying to tweak something that nobdy documents and Western Digital doesn’t want you to tell you, is frustrating.

Ever since I had the WD Live, I was obsessed with making the device sleep. In fact everything I owned including my PC, my Mac Mini and any external hard drives should be sleep when I’m not using it.

My obsession came when I was constantly hearing my WD Live drive clicking and clacking away in my closet. I thought I was hacked and checked my router and even went as far as blocking everything that came through my router to no avail. Then I forayed into the tiny little debian linux device and discovered this fascinating world. After killing all the services that I wasn’t dependant on, the WD Live was a joy to use. It was quiet and slept through most of the nights.

With my newly acquired 4TB MyCloud, there are even less documentation then before.  Even though I shut down most of the unneeded services, I found my device still waking up every hour and sometimes it stays on forever despite my Mac and my PC being off.

With WD Live the exit standby log use to be in /var/log/messages and you could see just how often your device wakes up, but with WD Cloud, the exit standby message was gone. 

No proof that my device was waking up… 

Until now… as I perused through all the /var/log/ I found the user.log and lo and behold… it holds the exact same info that I use to obsessively peruse…

/var/log/user.log

To browse this you can use

vi user.log (to exit press : followed by q and return)

or you can 

cp user.log /shares/Public

cd /shares/Public

chmod 777 user.log

Then on your pc or mac, open the log file. On the Mac when you open this log file it automatically goes to the end.

So there you go… now you can point to this user.log file and say to your spouse… I knew I thought I heard some clicking, that **bleep** device is doing something at 3.00 AM and here is the proof!!

2 Likes

Hello,

Thank for sharing this information. Please note that the My Cloud will wake up by itself to index the new information on it, it will also create thumbnails for the pictures that have been transferred. 

cat /var/log/user.log | grep standby

Use this command, to find out when it comes out of standby :slight_smile:

Oh and another thing check this log file:

/var/log/ramlog

It is saving out everything from RAM to HDD.

Feb 09 03:00:13 Restarting ramlog = saving logs to hdd: [OK]
Feb 10 03:00:13 Restarting ramlog = saving logs to hdd: [OK]
Feb 11 03:00:12 Restarting ramlog = saving logs to hdd: [OK]
Feb 12 03:00:07 Restarting ramlog = saving logs to hdd: [OK]
Feb 13 03:00:10 Restarting ramlog = saving logs to hdd: [OK]
Feb 14 03:00:08 Restarting ramlog = saving logs to hdd: [OK]
Feb 15 03:00:08 Restarting ramlog = saving logs to hdd: [OK]
Feb 16 03:00:07 Restarting ramlog = saving logs to hdd: [OK]
Feb 17 03:00:13 Restarting ramlog = saving logs to hdd: [OK]
Feb 18 03:00:12 Restarting ramlog = saving logs to hdd: [OK]

for some strange reason … at 3am everyday… 

they flush the logs to disk…

then does this… 

Feb 19 03:05:01 WDMyCloud kernel: [265918.951572] md: md0 stopped.

Feb 19 03:05:03 WDMyCloud kernel: [265920.118901] md: cannot remove active disk sda1 from md1 …

Feb 19 03:05:03 WDMyCloud kernel: [265920.170643] md: cannot remove active disk sda2 from md1 …

Feb 19 03:05:04 WDMyCloud kernel: [265921.234357] EXT4-fs (sda4): re-mounted. Opts: user_xattr,barrier=0,data=writeback,noinit_itable,init_itable=10

the latter part is from messages

I am finding out that the WDCloud does not retain a connection to allow my remote devices to connect using WDMyCloud App when I need them to. I periodically receive device offline or unavailable. The new WDPhoto App does not display any photos at all I sometimes get a first time setup then nothing (I am very disappointed with this).

The only thing that seems to wake up the device is when I login to ssh using root.  After logging in with ssh, I go to my mobile and I am online. 

Frustrating as it is, (related to this post), I logged in and see the same messages you reported below. Considering the timing of the messages and the fact that I do not see anything reported in the user.log, I am not sure this is the cause to the problem.

Is there anyone in WD who can respond to this issue? This product really seemed very promising and I assume with some patching, it will be solid but unitl then, I need help.